How to get molded plastic shredder hopper back into shape

Min

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I finally worked out how to get the hopper off the garden shredder. Now I need to get it back to original shape. Boiling water isn't doing it.

It's molded black plastic. Friends are saying use a hot air gun, but surely this'll risk heating the surface too much?

I want to know if I can heat it in the oven. Maybe put it in cold oven and turn heat to 120C. Then gradually increase heat till it's flexible.

Melt temp websites list various plastics, lowest melt temp being about 162C (325F). (I don't know which plastic it is, so have to play safe.)

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Btw, when the hopper got bent out of shape it had been in the hot sun all day, then 'set' in the forced, wrong shape. That was on the hottest day last week. Not forecast to be that hot again :(

A hot air gun - with care - is the way to go, as using an oven will heat the complete moulding up and you'd be lucky to get it back. If you can screw it back in place to hold it and then have a go you could get lucky.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Brilliant litl, ofcourse!! Will try that before summoning the courage for the hot air gun.

Thanks litl and John. Will let you know what works.

Car wasn't hot enough, but careful play of hot air gun on lower setting did the trick. All assembled nicely.
Thanks for your help guys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back