how to get mortar bed to look brown

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
what is the best method of getting mortar beds to look brown. I am project managing my house extension and want the mortar to look brown to match existing. i had bought some cement dye however you are supposed to mix this dye on a 1:10 dye:cement. as the dye costs £9/kg this would cost me £900 for dye even if i went to the hassle of getting the brickies to make up seperate mixes.
I am guessing you must have to buy a differrent colour sand however does anybody know how this is normally done.

Sponsored Links
batches of dyed sand are available and can be bought by the skipful. they also contain lime.

just add cement and water.

If you want brown, ie actual brown, then you will have to buy dyed sand.

If you want brown ie the light brownish colour the mortar usually dries to, then you should just do some sample mixes with the sand from a local merchant to see if you can get a mix the same colour as you are trying to match.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back