How to get old planning permission?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, looking to dig up any info we can get on ourextension we currently already have.

We know when we put in to buy the house the small extension was noted as having planning permission.

I wanted to know if theresany way of getting specs or dimensions of how big it should be? Were looking to get it built bigger very soon. Existing structure is cavity bricked but no insulation. If i remember right it was built in the late 90's.

The slab actually goes out a meter more than the extension but hae not dug down to see if thats where the footings are.

Sponsored Links
Hi guys, looking to dig up any info we can get on ourextension we currently already have.

We know when we put in to buy the house the small extension was noted as having planning permission.

I wanted to know if theresany way of getting specs or dimensions of how big it should be? Were looking to get it built bigger very soon. Existing structure is cavity bricked but no insulation. If i remember right it was built in the late 90's.

The slab actually goes out a meter more than the extension but hae not dug down to see if thats where the footings are.

Ask the planning office for planning history. Some will upload old planning apps to the portal, ssme will email you, some will make you go in and visit.

Some planning history is on the portal, tend not to go back before 2000 though.

Id be surprised if the slab extends beyond, not sure how that would be possible

Nor me, it would mean its not sitting on footings. If i am honest it wouldnt suprise me if it has and it certainly looks that way. Obviously this would be checked physically.

if we dont knock it down we would like to go a meter or so wider. They didnt previously go wider as this will require drain modifications, next doors drain runs into our drains. All this needs looking at.

if we added to it, if we were able to, would the new 'addition' part of the extension need to meet current u-value regs or does it just need to be as good as current structure?

Last edited:
I can't see the point.

No one can rely on any past drawings for dimensions or drainage. Start digging.

Sponsored Links
I can't see the point.

No one can rely on any past drawings for dimensions or drainage. Start digging.

Thought someone was going to say that! Wasn't relying on there being much info to hand. Not sure how this all works. Drainage was my next question but you have advised to just dig.

I guess its also going to have to meet the current regs on u-values too? If thats the case i might as well pull it down and get it built again. Existing structure is the same as the house originally (cavity ). Worse if you factor in there's no blown insulation, yet original dwelling does.

Guess i have my answer!

Thanks woody.

Drainage was my next question but

You will need a build over agreement if its shared drain.

The csvity size can be overcome by adding celotex to inside skin.

Floor is more tricky, you need to dig it up and lay new with more insulation.

Sometimes, its just cheaper to knock down and rebuild.

You will need a build over agreement if its shared drain.

The csvity size can be overcome by adding celotex to inside skin.

Floor is more tricky, you need to dig it up and lay new with more insulation.

Sometimes, its just cheaper to knock down and rebuild.

Thanks mate, as its small anyway i dont think its worth trying to salvage, seems more hassle than its worth. Either going to have to live with it or be done with it!

If you are just extending the extension and following the existing walls, then strictly only the new bit needs to conform to current standards.

But in practical terms this means the new walls will be thicker so won't be flush internally or externally, and likewise for the roof.

It comes down to whether the existing room will be ok stepped or if lined or is it better to build the whole lot a bit bigger to maximise internal space.

If you are just extending the extension and following the existing walls, then strictly only the new bit needs to conform to current standards.

But in practical terms this means the new walls will be thicker so won't be flush internally or externally, and likewise for the roof.

It comes down to whether the existing room will be ok stepped or if lined or is it better to build the whole lot a bit bigger to maximise internal space.

I think the later woody, wider would be ideal and then that dont leave much left by the time french doors are fitted etc. Plus the floor u-value. At least i can do the demolition part myself. I will look into the drainage next. See what we are up against.

Right, i have anogher question!

Theres a possibility the old extension might have been built over drainage. A very good chance! If planning permission was previously applied and approved, even though it was in the 90's would there have been a "build over" agreement applied for then? I could be wrong on the drainage runs buf untill i dig im expecting worse case and just gathering info.

Back in the 90's the council building control approved building over drains as part of their inspections. It was only later that this function was passed to the water authorities, and their money making scheme which also updated their network maps for free, got into full swing.

Right, i have anogher question!

Theres a possibility the old extension might have been built over drainage. A very good chance! If planning permission was previously applied and approved, even though it was in the 90's would there have been a "build over" agreement applied for then? I could be wrong on the drainage runs buf untill i dig im expecting worse case and just gathering info.

If its only your drainage, its private. If its a run to/neighbour its public.

Drains that are public were adopted by local water authorities in 2011. Before then, all sorts of building over happened.

Note it should really be called a build near agreement since anything within 3 metres needs a b/o agreement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back