How to get rid of silverfish?

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've gone through 4 YouTube videos.
All were American.
I looked on amazon, all products seems to be pretty expensive - £10 on average for a spray.

I thought I'd ask here before deciding what to do?

Any suggestions?

I saw a natural trap that seemed pretty easy: get a glass jar, wrap with sellotape and put flour at the bottom? Is that any good?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
American houses seem to often be overrun by Silverfish - presumed it was the humidity in certain areas of the US.

Don't know about killing them, always thought prevention was better than cure for Silverfish.
- Reduce moisture (is there a leak or damp clothes on raditaors, damp walls).
- Remove food sources (seal food containers, only eat in one area of house - and keep that area clean after every meal.
- Hoover, Hoover and Hoover - at start every day, especially at edges to pick up food items and eggs.

- Hoover, Hoover and Hoover - at start every day, especially at edges to pick up food items and eggs.
Yep. They also need a bit of moisture, so central heating does them no good.

From having pets which can bring in all sorts of creepy crawlies, which can may eggs, I've found that using a steamer on curtains, carpets and mattresses from time to time can so help. If the eggs are boiled, they can't hatch...

They can survive a year without food, but they do need quite a lot of moisture, so dry things out and get a kilo of boric acid for the edges where they come out

Sponsored Links
You can get sprays for crawling insects. It poisons through their feet.

Clean thoroughly before applying, and re-apply after next clean.

On floors, walls, skirtings, under kitchen cabinets, on shelves (away from food)

"Dethlac" was best known but there are lots more now.

They aren’t harmful, just look horrible.

I just leave them be.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back