How to go up to install date stone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to install a date stone in a hole in the brickwork that is already there. See the picture. The thing is there is a porch underneath and it sticks out about 1.4m.
If I put a ladder over the porch is it safe? and also do I need 3 arms to do the job? one to hold on to the ladder and two to do the job. The other possibility would be to hire a tower but then how do I reach over the porch?

Any suggestions will be appreciated

GALLERY]

Sponsored Links
Unfortunatley it looks like it could be an expensive date stone. If it were me I would hire a cherry picker or get proper scafolding. Working at height is very dangerous and unless it's 100% safe then don't attempt it.

Fancy not putting the date stone in when the house was being built !!!
Perhaps as well as a ladder you might get away with using a ladder standoff or perhaps 2 ladders with a platform in between them (I have seen these things before but can't find them via google yet)

Sponsored Links
http://www.laddersafetysupplies.co.uk/stag01.jpg
Dont think I would fancy it though at that height. I would hire a cherry picker or get a scaffold firm to knock a quick tower up. Or get someone else to to it :LOL: :LOL:

That's the very thing Mikric. Good lad.

http://www.laddersafetysupplies.co.uk/stag01.jpg
Dont think I would fancy it though at that height. I would hire a cherry picker or get a scaffold firm to knock a quick tower up. Or get someone else to to it :LOL: :LOL:

Interesting looking ladder if I can put it either side of the porch and if I can find one to hire locally

Would be a pain to set up if your on your own. I bet the hire cost would work out the same as a cherry picker. I personally hate the things, but the upvc facia and soffit guys seem to love them.
I remember in my youth there were similar things we called ladder brackets that you laid a scaffold board between ladders :eek:

CHERRY PICKER,................................ its a long way down.

You realise as you get older that we are only here for a short time, so don't take any chances to shorten that time.

Andy

Would be a pain to set up if your on your own. I bet the hire cost would work out the same as a cherry picker. I personally hate the things, but the upvc facia and soffit guys seem to love them.
I remember in my youth there were similar things we called ladder brackets that you laid a scaffold board between ladders :eek:
I remember them being called Cripples - and you will end up one if you use them :eek:

I had a local scaffolder put me up some when I was working on an upper window, he was very quick and the price was quite modest.

He did it on his way home from work

Worth asking around.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back