How to identify and replace thermostatic cartridge for shower mixer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I hope you guys can help. My shower temperature is stuck at scolding! Which my wife doesn't seem to mind, but I find way too hot!

We live in a hard water area and it's been in for around 12 years or so and it's therefore completely stuck. I'd love some help in identifying the make of shower mixer and also would welcome any tips to remove it as I'm not 100% sure whether I need to get an adjustable spanner on the hexagonal nut or whether I need to get a vice grip on the round serrated ring behind it? It's wedged pretty tight and I don't want to overdo it and damage the pipework behind the tiles as I'd love to avoid any re-tiling!

I've uploaded some images of the shower mixer - in one of them you can just about make out a stamp which looks like two triangles to me which might be a logo of some brand?

If I can remove them then I can try descaling them, but I think I will
IMG_1927.JPG
IMG_1931.JPG
IMG_1934.JPG
probably need two new cartridges for the mixers and am hoping that if I can identify them then I can still buy them online and replace them myself and save myself a plumber 's bill. The closest I can find is:
https://www.showerspares.com/search/tcs-thermostatic-shower-cartridge-tcs100/
(But it's not quite identical).

Any help or suggestions would be very welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_1929.JPG
    IMG_1929.JPG
    211.3 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_1930.JPG
    IMG_1930.JPG
    219 KB · Views: 538
  • IMG_1931.JPG
    IMG_1931.JPG
    182.4 KB · Views: 329
  • IMG_1934.JPG
    IMG_1934.JPG
    255 KB · Views: 782
  • IMG_1937.JPG
    IMG_1937.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 367
Sponsored Links
Hi,

Just wondering did you ever manage to remove this to repair or replace? I have the same issue stuck on around 45c and can't turn it down. Have taken it apart but can't remove cartridge even after decaling and applying WD40 several times. I know it is a Crosswater Sol with cartridge GP0012174. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Did one yesterday.
You need a big-ass set of pump pliers to get the captive nut undone, and then clean up the threads with a wire brush before reusing it. Plenty of silicone grease on the o-rings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back