How to identify concrete block type

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to identify what type of concrete building block was used in the construction of our garage, so I can then work out their u-value for a future conversion of the rear half of the space.

I've googled but not found a resource that I can use to identify them. Does anyone know where this information can be found?

Sponsored Links
Aerated blocks can be identified by the pattern of the scratching on the block. There's no point identifying concrete blocks because the difference between them is so minimal you might as well use the worst case value.

Thanks, I've had a look at the link and can't see any of the identifying marks on ours. I've attached a picture. I presume they are just cheap building blocks but I do really need to try and get a u-value to minimise the amount of insulation required. I am hoping as the seem to have a fair amount of airpockets in there that the u-value would be higher than normal house bricks.

View media item 85368

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back