What type of concrete blocks to buy?

There is no reason not to build it in dense concrete blocks, go ahead and use them, they are the cheapest option (at about 60p a block)

Where can you get 60p a block? I've just logged in to my Travis Perkins account and it's showing me £1.49, ex. Though I usually get better prices at the counter than Trademate shows.

Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links
60p is a bargain. I'd get them ordered before they spot the mistake.

If you use lightweight blocks you will love them for a few days up until the moment you finish laying them.
Are you talking about light aggregate block like a fibolite or an aerated block like a thermalite?
I've had no problems with light aggrogate can hang kitchen cuboards on them they take render and plaster well etc.

Turnbull do them for £6/m2 +vat (topcon) You have to know them though, or they are 65p each.
If you want 18/21t then interfuse do them for around the same no account needed

I have had some good prices from Jewson a pack (80) for £56inc but I can't get them to this price now.

I've just logged in to my Travis Perkins account and it's showing me £1.49, ex.
Wickes is £1.18inc a block -10% 'trade' £1.06 and they are owned by TP.

TP is a total rip off if I want to spend £6 on a bag of cement, or 70p for a engineering brick I go there. My terms with them are twice that on the counter and still they are too expensive. Support your local merchant!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

Hmm. It seems I can get one pack (which is what I'm going to need next) for around £30 cheaper from Wickes than from TP. On the other hand Wickes delivery is 30-35 quid depending on day, and I can get free local delivery from TP. Swings and wotsits, though Wickes obviously win on larger quantities...

Yes but wickes is not really trade is it, it's still a diy shed.
You should not be paying more than £1inc vat even with delivery for a dense concrete block that's just mad..
If Joe Blogs walked into my local builders merchant and asked for 1 pack of dense concrete blocks delivered, none trade, cash sale etc it would be 65p per block plus the vat so 78p, your local TP is just having a laugh but then again I have no idea where you live, how far they have to deliver, how posh you sound on the phone etc so it may be the correct price for you :p

Ok it just been to travis Perkins and asked for some prices, they said:

Standard 7n dense blocks, 450 blocks for 429.30 inc vat and free delivery

Cement bag 3.85 each + vat
Bulk sand 33.50 + vat

I told him I didn't have a trade account but wether he did me any favours or not I don't know. I haven't ordered them yet. How do them prices sound?

Yes but wickes is not really trade is it, it's still a diy shed.
You should not be paying more than £1inc vat even with delivery for a dense concrete block that's just mad..
If Joe Blogs walked into my local builders merchant and asked for 1 pack of dense concrete blocks delivered, none trade, cash sale etc it would be 65p per block plus the vat so 78p, your local TP is just having a laugh but then again I have no idea where you live, how far they have to deliver, how posh you sound on the phone etc so it may be the correct price for you :p
I know them quite well and generally get good prices. Could be it's just Trademate online taking the p1ss.

My contractors pay about 85-90p a block from Travis inc VAT. We've got about 6 branches locally so for larger quantities the branches will compete with each other. Don't think they're supposed to but they do.

I asked in my local TP yesterday when I was buying something else, and they'd give me 80p/block +VAT, which is 96p.

Cheers
Richard

Turnbull do them for £6/m2 +vat (topcon) You have to know them though, or they are 65p each.
If you want 18/21t then interfuse do them for around the same no account needed

I have had some good prices from Jewson a pack (80) for £56inc but I can't get them to this price now.

I've just logged in to my Travis Perkins account and it's showing me £1.49, ex.

TP is a total rip off if I want to spend £6 on a bag of cement, or 70p for a engineering brick I go there. My terms with them are twice that on the counter and still they are too expensive. Support your local merchant!

Unfortunately I doubt Turnbull and Interfuse will deliver to West London :/

I'll give Jewson a try on Monday. Can anyone recommend anywhere else near West London (Uxbridge) for Dense blocks (need about 500 initially)? So far its looking like ~£1.00 a block if I can get Wickes trade discount. Called a couple of local builders merchants and they quoted similar to wickes :/

Hell fire I deal with that confusion every single day & it's so annoying. The names cause a lot of the problem.

Lightweight block aren't much lighter than the 7n dense ones in my opinion but when you say lightweight people can end up thinking ultralight (fibolite / klinker etc) or even thermalite /celcon / Durox / Quinn lite (aerated block).

The amount of customers we get who come to pick up their 'lightweight' block & then say that isn't what they want, they want that one over there instead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back