How to indicate switchline when using singles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do you indicate the switchline when using singles as all cables are brown?

when using twin and earth you have brown and blue, blue has a bit of brown sleeving on it.

But when using singles, both cables are brown????

Sponsored Links
Sorry, read your question wrong. :oops:

Basically you don't have to mark it.

It aint live,

Im installing

I just wanan indicate the switchline so if an electrician comes in he will know what the switchline is.

Like i said, with twina nd earth you put brown sleeving over the blue

Sponsored Links
But there's nothing wrong with putting a bit of brown sleeving on it. I do this when I'm installing so I don't forget which one's which.

okie dokie

One more thing

Identifiying L1 L2 when in a intemediate switch?

L1 L2 IN
L1 L2 OUT

I normally knick the cable but its for my am2 tomorrow wanan ACE IT

You can either use notches in the insulation when you install the cable or use a permanent marker pen to put stripes on the cable i.e. put 1 stripe on each end of sw live, when using strappers you may end up with two or three stripes/notches. If using notches when you terminate them cut them back far enough to remove the notches!!
If you need to ID an installed cable then you can do it by attaching it to earth at one end and continuity checking it against earth at the other. Remember to check all wires to earth though in case there is one with damaged insulation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back