How to insulate & laminate an existing concrete floor in 65mm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of planning a bathroom conversion whereby I would like to insulate an existing 14 square meter concrete floor:

1. I have 65mm to work with (otherwise I need to raise the door height).
  2. There is an existing DPM layer
  3. 65mm includes insulation/chipboard/laminate
I am currently thinking of a 50mm GA4000 Celotex + 10mm tongue and groove laminate flooring

Does this sound like a sensible approach? Are there other Celotex-like products I should consider?

My main concerns are the compressibility of the Celotex. i.e. would 10mm of laminate flooring distribute the load sufficiently to prevent deformation?

Sponsored Links
Not an expert but I suspect so.
I helped a mate do a garage conversion and we used 50mm rock wool ( very dense) and glued chipboard t&g to form a raft. This was a recording studio so the floor was independant from the walls.

am currently thinking of a 50mm GA4000 Celotex + 10mm tongue and groove laminate flooring

Does this sound like a sensible approach? Are there other Celotex-like products I should consider?

My main concerns are the compressibility of the Celotex. i.e. would 10mm of laminate flooring distribute the load sufficiently to prevent deformation

I dont think that would work.

I would suggest, insulation, T&G chipboard flooring with joints off set from insulation layer, then laminate flooring.

40mm Celotex + 18mm P5 T&G chipboard + 10mm laminate flooring = 68mm height

68mm should still mean the door height can stay the same.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
40mm Celotex + 18mm P5 T&G chipboard + 10mm laminate flooring = 68mm height

68mm should still mean the door height can stay the same.

Cheers.
Yes that would work well.

Foil tape on the celetex is always worth doing, it forms a complete vapour barrier and increases air tightness. I use the 75mm diall tape from screwfix.

A decent laminate underlay gives a nice solid feel.

This website has a few good options
https://www.tradepriced.co.uk/timbertech2_acoustic_gold_laminate_underlay.html

Agree with adding underlay, but will need to reduce the insulation:

30mm Celotex + 18mm + P5 T&G chipboard + 5mm underlay + 10mm laminate flooring = 63mm

Agree with adding underlay, but will need to reduce the insulation:

30mm Celotex + 18mm + P5 T&G chipboard + 5mm underlay + 10mm laminate flooring = 63mm

Be careful with the insulation thickness if its critical -the last batch of 25mm I got was only 22mm.

If you dont want to compromise insulation, you could use a thin 2mm underlay. I have to say though, the acoustic underlays do give a better, more solid feel to the floor, much better than the cheap foam you can buy.

If we don't notice the leak in time, then you are correct in that it will fail. We did consider vinyl as well - this has the benefit of having very little height and moisture proof - however, we haven't found any we like yet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back