How to insulate old sash windows?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my property the windows are old sash windows, I know I need to replace them. Until then though, I am looking for a short term patch. If I manage to get even 50% less cold coming in, it'll be a great benefit. This particular window is in my bathroom, and it's freezing cold, especially at night. The problem seems to be more prominent on the sides of the top sash window (static). I've put some insulation from Amazon at the bottom window that opens, but I can only go so high.

Attachments

• 20200322_125005.jpg
    20200322_125005.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 178
  • 20200322_125018.jpg
    20200322_125018.jpg
    393.4 KB · Views: 179
  • 20200322_125032.jpg
    20200322_125032.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 163
Sponsored Links
Quick fix would be magnetic strips and Perspex cut to size as a kit

A mate has a listed house and a window dr routed out channels and inserted a brush strip in his windows and also added double glazed units inside the sashes. It's very thin and light so the window still works.

I am pretty sure that most sash windows are draughty due to wear, not design.

If it's a cheap quick fix you want and can live without the ventilation there is a film you can buy that adheres to the inner frame using double sided tape. The film is fixed in place and then heated with a hairdryer that stretches the film taut. Just search for window insulation film, and the kit comes up. It's as cheap as chips, I used it many years ago and if nothing else it stops the draughts. Hope this helps

Plenty of stuff for draughtproofing sash windows.
For a quick fix as above with the window film but the tape leaves marks on paintwork.
Mighton products do a load of stuff and videos on You tube.
Jim Sear does some good vids as he repairs the old sashes.

Sponsored Links
You can get sash secondary glazing but better to save the money towards replacing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back