how to judge if a sofa will fit into a flat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am moving into a new flat and need to get a sofa. The doorway for the flat is 70cm wide. I have been looking at a sofa with the dimensions below.

Dimensions in cm: (H)85, (W)185, (D)89.
Width of seat between arms: 135cm.
Floor to seat height: 44cm.
Width of seat: 135cm.
Depth of seat: 53cm.
Seat back height: 53cm.

Is it a simple case that this wont fit because the height and depth are too big or does anyone think I could manoeuvre it in? if so, is there a golden rule for figuring out if sofa / units etc will fit through doors, stairwells etc

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I can't see it fitting even stood on end it would barely fit the door hight and the width still doesn't work, is it ground floor? It might be possible to get a window out to pass it in that way. Sorry no other suggestions apart from a bean bag that is :D

Best wishes,
footprints

thanks for that. I just wanted to double check if I was being thick or missing something

Sponsored Links
Stood on end, it might "wrap" around the door opening. Depends on what's on either side of the door opening and the length of the "diagonal" measured from the crook to the bottom corner. Hard to explain - easyish to imagine.

Sorry got my conversions wrong 6' 6" door frame is about 196mm, so 185 should fit under, as Dextraenous says sometimes you can "wind" it through the doorway if you have space to the side.

Regards,
footprints

is there a golden rule for figuring out if sofa / units etc will fit through doors, stairwells etc
I doubt it, and if it's very important you could make a wire or wood frame mockup of the doorway (a sofa mockup would be very complex) and try to fit it over the sofa in every way possible.
Just thinking of all the ways these fit together is difficult in itself. This 3D problem is about as messy as it gets (but easy for a computer).

Hi

I am moving into a new flat and need to get a sofa. The doorway for the flat is 70cm wide. I have been looking at a sofa with the dimensions below.

Dimensions in cm: (H)85, (W)185, (D)89.
Width of seat between arms: 135cm.
Floor to seat height: 44cm.
Width of seat: 135cm.
Depth of seat: 53cm.
Seat back height: 53cm.

Is it a simple case that this wont fit because the height and depth are too big or does anyone think I could manoeuvre it in? if so, is there a golden rule for figuring out if sofa / units etc will fit through doors, stairwells etc

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers
IMPORTANT INFO MISSING, DOES IT HAVE LEGS OR FEET.

Stood on end, it might "wrap" around the door opening. Depends on what's on either side of the door opening and the length of the "diagonal" measured from the crook to the bottom corner. Hard to explain - easyish to imagine.

cheers, will see if it might wrap round.

There is an argument (although you wouldn't win) for settee manufacturers to provide information regarding what size door and what scenarios (there's a better word which alludes me - I'll edit if it comes to me :oops:) are required for their products to be worth purchasing in terms of getting them into a room.

In fact, I feel a dragon's den invention coming on :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back