How to keep the cats in the garden?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a pair of Bengal cats that need to be confined to our garden. I have a 6 foot panel fence around the garden but that poses no problem to these athletic creatures.

Anyone tried to cat proof their garden ie. by adding a 3-4ft, angled in, netting arrangement, supported at each fence post.
Any other suggestions ?

post angled netting arrangement
| /
|/
|
|
|
|

Sponsored Links
Cats can climb a vertical brick wall if they set their mind to it.

They can easily "walk" upside down hanging from netting once they work out how to do it.

Smooth vertical or inward sloping material that claws cannot penetrate is about the only guaranteed cat stopper.

two reasons.

Firstly, an unreasonable neigbour.
Secondly, recently lost a cat to a car accident and for the wife its like losing a child !

I dont think its fair to keep a cat indoors 24/7 as its in their nature to want to be outside exploring and playing. Fencing off the garden is a compromise.

Sponsored Links
Not sure I agree with doing this but a friend of mine had 2 very expensive, pedigree cats (can't remember what they were) & he used to keep their claws well clipped! it worked, cats can't climb wothout any claws!

I'm afraid to say, you probably have next to no chance :(

You could try electric fence? once they realise, i think they wont try... that often....

If i was your niehbour and they were coming in my garden id have the shotgun out....

Why people keep cats then get all concerned when i niehbour complains about them.....

Would you like your niehbour to come and dig up your garden and then pull his / her pants down do a big s**t on your lawn and then leave it thier..... some people actually like to keep thier gardens clean and tidy for the safty of children and dont want other peoples cats doing thier businness everywhere....

And therefore, because I'm a considerate neighbour, I'm looking at fencing them in !! Until the garden is done, they wont be going out.

Jeez, Some people !
If you were my neighbour and decided to take pot shots and my cats you could expect a visit from PC Plod. And I would make sure you were prosecuted to the full extent of the law.
Then laugh, because there's no law that says cats cant stray into your garden

I had a neighbour with 4 cats, I used to chase them out of the garden etc, and they used to crap all over the place. I'm sure one of them used to wait for me to open the curtains and then have a dump while smiling at me.

They moved away and the new neighbour had 3 cats. Decided on new tactics, be nice to the cats. Since then never had a problem, they roam all over my garden but don't crap in it.

i dont agree with keeping a cat in a controlled environment like that, but i can understand to some degree what you are doing. There are several companies that make a cat fence, i was asked to install one a few years ago, ill see if i can dig the info out. I never did do it though!

For gods sake dont do its claws, bloody cruel

Thermo what a nice bloke you are

im lucky cus my cat wont venture past our garden on account of the dogs.

as for other cat owners, i advise trying to chill the wife out and educating her that cats need freedom too....

Sorry but I've got to rant: :evil: cats are tolerant but only if they have to be; considerate if they like you; don't make your house stink like a dead rat: but you will never rule them like it's so easy with a dog; but at least they bury their S**t!. They don’t need pacifying, are not a pain in the arse for constant attention & they always s**t in someone else’s garden :) Tip; get your own cat & this will stop!

Obviously I'm a cat lover (mine is much smarter than I am) but If you must have a pet, apart from fish;

CATS ARE GREAT! :D

I've heard that stringing fishing line a few inches above the fence panels can prevent cats walking along the fence. Something about them not being able to cross their front legs as they normally do, but I've never tried it or seen it in action. I doubt it would stop them jumping over the fence though.

If your cats have always been allowed to roam they will resent you for caging them in and spend their life trying to find a way out.

It is sad when your cat gets run down or involved in a fight with another cat, but it's a risk everyone who lets their cat/s roam must take. Maybe, given time, you'll be able to live with that risk again?

Firstly, I think cats are inappropriate pets to keep in an urban area unless you do something like you're looking for to keep them in.
Cats only bury their business in their own garden.
The law changed recently and you are no longer supposed to let your cats out overnight.
I feel better for that. :)
Anyway...

From my experience, I think most of the detterants like the cat strips, wire, nailing nails along your fence and the electronic scarers etc work on making it an unpleasant place for the cat so it finds another route.
I think you will need a proper system as suggested to keep them in and that netting is the only solution.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back