Keeping the cats in the garden

I've a bit of bad news for you ... Cats generally never litter their own environment, the main reason why they are unpopular with neighbours ;)

Of all the deterrents I've tried the ultrasonic PIR type have been the most successful except for one particular (old) male cat who was almost deaf and couldn't hear it ... True ... Honest :LOL:

At least they are discreet and don't make your garden look like Stalag 99

Sponsored Links
Just resurrecting this old topic to say I've tried the Alan Titchmarsh method.
He said to lay pruned branches across the ground to stop the cats being able to get on there.
I've prunned a thorney tree and placed these around the patch and the cats won't go on there any more.

In an old house, I had gravelled the front forecourt and before long all of the local cats, including ours, were using it as a litter tray. Found some powder at the Pet Shop that made the whole street stink of garlic, but it worked.

Back to the OP, let them out, and let them wander. They'll be back, and unless you have a local psycho, won't get poisoned.

[quote="JamesA"I don't know exactly whats in the inspections, but when you get an animal from an RSPCA shelter they will often come and inspect your house and garden to make sure they are happy with where the animal will be living.
I'd like to see this for all dogs, cats etc...
I would expect there to be a small fee, say £10 Quote)

James, if you go to the RSPC or any rescue centre to purchase a cat or dog, they will send someone round to check on the coditions, they also charge sometimes quite a high sum for taking a pet, this pays for the injections, chip, and inspection, and could cost up to at least £100.

(quote="jamesA"
]I thought the problem had gone away but it came back last night.
Maybe I need to buy an industrial sized pot of pepper and vinegar.

I wonder if the owners aren't providing a litter tray or a proper place in their own gardens for their cats to s**t.
Maybe if they left an area of soil in their own garden the cat would go there...

Has anyone fitted strips to their fencing to keep them out?
http://www.prikka-strip.com/[/quote]

I know someone who nailed carpet grippers along the top of thier fence, and painted it in with the fence, they did iniatially to keep out the oiks, who would climb over thier fence,then realised it was keeping the cats out as well.

Sponsored Links
What really p's me off is that if a dog fouls in a public space there is a penalty of upto £1000. But cats are a different matter. A cat can foul wherever it want's and there are no penalties. Double standards or just that dog owners are easy pickings. Cat faeces are just as much a health risk to children and other animals, if not more so because of feline aids and other diseases that can pass on to dogs and people.

spice said:
...James, if you go to the RSPC or any rescue centre to purchase a cat or dog, they will send someone round to check on the coditions, they also charge sometimes quite a high sum for taking a pet, this pays for the injections, chip, and inspection, and could cost up to at least £100.
I'd hope that as there would be a lot more inspections, this would allow them to drop the price.

spice said:
I know someone who nailed carpet grippers along the top of thier fence, and painted it in with the fence, they did iniatially to keep out the oiks, who would climb over thier fence,then realised it was keeping the cats out as well.
I'd love to do that, but like a lot of gardens I'm only responsible for half the fencing. One side is the neighbours and I'm not sure they would be that keen to do it.

The carpet-gripper thing ain't a good idea unless you want to find yourself on the wrong side of a lawsuit.
If some child (for instance) attempts to retrieve their football from your garden and get's injured on a rusty carpet gripper (potential tetanus and other horrible problems, particularly with children whose immunity is not fully established) you would be prosecuted and have a rough time in court IMO ... Same thing would apply if you harmed a neighbours cat or other protected animal.
An Englishpersons home is no longer their castle in this country and you will be called upon to defend your position in court if personal harm is inflicted on humans or animals and will almost certainly lose the case if there are alternative (non-harmful) deterrants available ... This is why we can't erect electric fences etc ... Much as it would be great to be able to :LOL:
You can buy rubber strips with bobbly-bits on which have the same effect as the grippers for cats (won't stop the oiks though) ... Cheapest approach is to buy the rubber door mats with the "rubber bristles" and cut into stips yourself ... Simply nail or glue these to the top of your fence and lay on any other areas you want to prevent cats from straying onto.
These are extremely effective as cats don't like the bristles and will avoid them ... Try it at home with the doormat placed in a doorway ... The cat won't walk across it. They will soon realise that they can jump over it though but at least it proves the theory ;)

nstreet said:
if not more so because of feline aids and other diseases that can pass on to dogs and people.

FIV cannot pass on to dogs or people :rolleyes:

True for FIV but "other diseases" can though ;)

It is true to say that there are more health risks to humans from cat poo than dog poo.

Dogs are too stupid to carry anything contageous :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back