Keeping the cats in the garden

Beans-on-Toast said:
I've had cats all my life and not one has run away, thats a truly ridiculous notion. :rolleyes:

Maybe you should re-read my post :rolleyes:

Cats that are free to do their own thing are a major pain in the ass. They use other peoples gardens as litter trays and this behaviour is very likely to get them poisoned.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, I read your last post and stand by what I said previously.

Whoever 'poisons' cats whether or not they poop in your garden need shooting themselves.

You've got to be very 'twisted' and I suggest 'lacking a life' to want to harm any pets. :evil:

One who hides to catch a cat entering their garden are showing serious signs of 'the losers script', ifunowotimean....!

People should realise that neighbours probably don't want your cat in their garden going for number 1s and number 2s.
If you don't live on a farm with land you shouldn't buy cats without consulting with all your neighbours first.
If you were to let your dog or children roam over peoples gardens the police would be called.

Anyway from a neighbours point of view, I have some dug soil where my vegatable patch is going to be.
Literally every day when I get home a new "present" is waiting for me.
Does anyone know of a fullproof way of keeping the cats away?
I can't use chemicals as its for a vegatable patch.

Sponsored Links
If you wee on it I am told animals will be discouraged.

People should realise that neighbours probably don't want your cat in their garden going for number 1s and number 2s.
If you don't live on a farm with land you shouldn't buy cats without consulting with all your neighbours first.
If you were to let your dog or children roam over peoples gardens the police would be called.

Anyway from a neighbours point of view, I have some dug soil where my vegatable patch is going to be.
Literally every day when I get home a new "present" is waiting for me.
Does anyone know of a fullproof way of keeping the cats away?
I can't use chemicals as its for a vegatable patch.

Your a happy soul arent you! The sonic deterants seem to work quite well

Thermo said:
Your a happy soul arent you! The sonic deterants seem to work quite well
I thought about the sonic ones, but I just feel a bit agrieved at having to pay >£20 to buy one and then all the batteries.
I don't think its a very environmentally friendly option either with all the electricty used and battery disposal.
I'm experimenting with pepper and vineger and it seems to have displaced it to a different part of the garden.

The problem is that there are 6 cats in the area and so I don't know whose the culprit; otherwise I could go and talk to the owners and they could pay for it. I'd also return all the special "logs" back to them.
People seem to have generally got a lot more selfish as neighbours in the last 10-15 years and you can't just talk a problem over to resolve it any more. This is not a joke as some people see it, but a serious health risk to children playing in the garden.

My point is that people buy pets for their own selfish benefit when they don't have fit conditions to house them.
I'd like to see you having to have an RSPCA inspection before you can own pets and neighbours permission before having roaming animals such as cats.

As for the author of this topic I'm sorry this is going to sound a bit rude but perhaps you should have though about these things BEFORE you bought the cats...
One other idea though is to glue drawing pins along the top of the fences to stop the cats being able to jump up, but you'd have to talk this over with your nieghbours.

Surely, its is easier to teach children not to play with dirt with bare hands than it is to teach the worlds population of cats not to dump wherever they fancy.......? :LOL: In fact my cats use their litter tray more often than not and that ****es me off no end....!! :rolleyes:

JamesA said:
My point is that people buy pets for their own selfish benefit when they don't have fit conditions to house them.
What are the fit conditions to house them :?:
I'd like to see you having to have an RSPCA inspection before you can own pets and neighbours permission before having roaming animals such as cats.
What is on the RSPCA inspection lists :?:

best way to stop it is get a cat yourself, they keep other cats away and they dont tend to go in their own garden! But then the neighbours might moan and you might not come up to the standard to have one

Best solution all round is for people to keep their cats indoors.

masona said:
What are the fit conditions to house them :?: ... What is on the RSPCA inspection lists :?:
I don't know exactly whats in the inspections, but when you get an animal from an RSPCA shelter they will often come and inspect your house and garden to make sure they are happy with where the animal will be living.
I'd like to see this for all dogs, cats etc...
I would expect there to be a small fee, say £10

This way if the dogs were going to be too enclosed or the cats were going to be a nuisance it could be stopped at this stage.

Agnit wrote:
Best solution all round is for people to keep their cats indoors.

I agree. We have two lovely ragdoll cats (yes it is a breed), they do not go out nor do they want to and are the most good natured cats you'll ever meet ... Probably because they've never been exposed to danger and therefore don't see anything as a threat.

http://effectivesoftware.co.uk/diynot/images/cats/c2.jpg
http://effectivesoftware.co.uk/diynot/images/cats/c1.jpg

Cats will explore their surroundings as kittens and create their own boundaries beyond which they do not generally wish to go as adults. If your home is reasonably spacious i.e. not a bedsit then the cat will be content within the confines of the house and use a litter tray for everything which would otherwise aggravate your neighbours ... It's ideal to place this in the farthest corner of the house from where you normally are :LOL:

If we leave the main door open now (after 4 years) neither of the cats venture out ... Probably because it's too much effort to get off the bed ;)

One last point ... If you plan on keeping a cat indoors ... Get 2 as they are social animals and like company

I thought the problem had gone away but it came back last night.
Maybe I need to buy an industrial sized pot of pepper and vinegar.

I wonder if the owners aren't providing a litter tray or a proper place in their own gardens for their cats to ****.
Maybe if they left an area of soil in their own garden the cat would go there...

Has anyone fitted strips to their fencing to keep them out?
http://www.prikka-strip.com/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back