How to lay bowed used hardwood floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
My Dad and I pulled up some birch? maple? used flooring t & g.
How do I get it ready to re-lay, since there seems to be some bowing in the longest pieces (5-7feet lengths), do we miter saw it into smaller lengths? It will go onto a plywood subfloor.

How do we clean off the old plastic wood they tried to fill gaps with? Make a steel scraper to the same t&g profile? This wood seems to be sanded about 1/16th less than original, very curious to know why it would have gaps afterwards. Could the gaps have appeared before sanding? (The wowing might explain that I guess). They had used square-cut nails, which seem to split the wood here and there. My Dad is getting a pressurized DeWalt nailer which shoots staples.
Please reply with as much general info for the overall procedure of installation as well as how to deal with that bowing.
Cheers and thanks guys/gals
Tanya

Sponsored Links
What is the ply subfloor fixed to?

Cramping the bowed pieces into place with wedges will work but the cramps will have to be constantly re-fixed and shortened.

Spread the bowed pieces about the floor - keep them apart.

A sharp wood chisel will remove any stuck debris. Tedious work.

You might do well to hand screw every so many courses.

To get a clean start its sometimes best to run the boards through a belt sander before laying.

Snapped chalk lines must be established as control lines.

Hi
Gee, that was quick.

Plywood is over, I am told, 1x6 planks laid diagonally over 2x10 joists, 12" apart.

Thanks again, keep us posted if you have any more thoughts on this.

Cheers!
Tanya

Sponsored Links
Your sub-floor will be rough sawn boards, and you will probably have to lay 15pound roofing felt paper over the diagonal boards.Screw down any shaky boards.

When you nail, take care to avoid the probable gaps in the sub-floorboards.

If you are in "cold Canada" then the crawl space should be insulated and vented to local Code or condensation difficulties can arise.

I'm presuming the sub-floor is level both ways? And is firmly fixed with no movement?

I dont understand the T&G "gaps" you refer to?

Remove all baseboards and consider how you will finish at door thresholds? Leave a 1/4" expansion gap at all edges.
Heating Registers might have to be slightly altered.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back