How to level quite badly sloping garage floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm hoping someone can advise the best course of action for me to undertake this myself.

The situation is I have a detached single garage I am converting the back section of into a small office type space whilst retaining about 4 feet at the front of the garage for garden stuff and tools. Building Control are not going to be involved, though I am going to insulate things to a sensible level for the intended use.

The garage has a usual garage door on front which I'm retaining, and on the side there is a uPVC door and window. I plan to separate the two areas with a stud partition which will have no door (so no way to get between the two areas from inside).

My problem is that the floor slopes a lot. There is the usual slight slope from back to front, but the floor height slopes upwards an extreme amount towards the uPVC door on the side on top of this - there is a diagonal slope down from this corner which feels like 6-8" higher than the floor level on the opposite wall from the door. I've uploaded an image to try and explain what I've got.

The overall height is such that I don't want to put 3x2 battens on top of that very highest point at the very-high corner and work out from there, as I'll lose a lot of headroom and may even end up with a step-up and duck-down situation when trying to enter through the side door.

My preferred approach is a 3x2 battened subfloor levelled with timber spacers (over DPC) throughout, but I don't know how to handle that high corner "correctly".

I am trying to avoid removing the concrete in that corner (i.e. digging down) as I've been advised this route is fraught with danger with regards to the walls collapsing.

Any suggestions?

Edit: Should have mentioned, I want to batten out the floor to give space to insulate over the DPC.

Attachments

• Garage -_0001.png
    Garage -_0001.png
    170 KB · Views: 373
Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back