How to link 3 fire alarms?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have two mains wired fire alarms and want to add in a third. The problem is I only have 2 mains connections. Is there a way to add in a third alarm which will link in with the other two but be battery operated only? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Homervanderjazz, good evening.

An odd ball suggestion???

Abandon the hard wiring, and go for three interlinked battery devices?

Up here a recently announced law is that ALL domestic properties, no exceptions must have interlinked Smokies, and also must have a heat sensor in the kitchen with a CO detector near any central heating unit or fire.

As such, I was trawling about on the net and was stunned by all the various types and styles of Interlinked "Things"

Ken.

A wired radio-link alarm is best for your situation.

The third alarm only needs permanent live and neutral.

You need two radio-link bases, and one original alarm will remain an ordinary base.

Aico are the best, all alarms need to be the same manufacturer and compatible.

... Abandon the hard wiring, and go for three interlinked battery devices? ... Up here a recently announced law is that ALL domestic properties, no exceptions must have interlinked Smokies, and also must have a heat sensor in the kitchen with a CO detector near any central heating unit or fire.
Interesting. Is there not also a requirement in Scotland that the alarms must all be mains-powered, with the batteries only as backup (in case of power cuts etc.) - since (removable) batteries are only too easy to remove?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
John, No?

I believe that the cost of a Spark and hard wiring has scared the Scottish Government.

The cost of compliance of interlinked Smokies in main living space / All circulation areas / Kitchen + CO detectors and heat sensor in Kitchen areas is a stated £220 per home, a lot, lot more £££ if hard wired.

It is mandatory, but not going to be inspected, odd situation?? which will be remedied as / when the property changes hands, it will be a part of the requirements for Home Report.

In short, the system can be all batteries, or all hard wired, or a mix, simply to get it done.

As an aside these Regs. already exist in all rented accommodation up here, not sure about England?? given the driver for these Regs. here was Grenfell?

Ken.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back