Mains smoke alarms [linked]

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have wiring in for three smoke/fire detectors which will be linked , need to close up the ceiling soon [plasterboard it]. Currently have twin and earth from top landing and bottom of stairs run thru to the kitchen where third fire alarm sensor will be [and pick up the lighting circuit for power] , can the wiring be connected externally to the smoke sensors or does it have to run from one to the other [radial type].

Sponsored Links
They need to be run from one point, to the next, to the next etc.

But I have some bad news for you, you use 3 Core + Earth to interconnect smoke alarms. You only use twin and earth from the supply to the first point, then 3C+E onwards along the circuit, as you need L+N+SL+E

Thanks, but that's contrary to the info I received on this forum from others and from the manufacturer.?

Sponsored Links
Another vote for 3 core+E.

What info did you receive on this forum then?

3 core+E, BTW, consists of brown, black, grey and bare earth.

I would also be interested to see any advice from a mfg that said use T+E, unless it's Nest smokes, which are radiolink as standard, and therefore just need the L+N supply.

I'm not going through 16 pages! I remember posting in the thread, wasn't that the HMO one?

The very first reply from Echo says 3C+E so.....

Seems I missed that, 38 replies, seems to have started an argument, seems electrician like to argue? ;)) Instruction manual from Kidde only shows three terminals, no earth.

Seems I missed that, 38 replies, seems to have started an argument, seems electrician like to argue? ;)) Instruction manual from Kidde only shows three terminals, no earth.

If no earth, but still three terminals, then you need 3 CORES, and you still connect the bare (but sleeved) earths together.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back