Mains wiring a smoke detector

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to put a smoke detector in which is mains wired via the existing light loop. Can I simply link it into the existing light loop by taking a two core and earth cable from an exisitng light to the smoke alarm, and then take a two core and earth cable from the smoke alarm to the next light in the exisitng loop...? The lighting loop would then be

light -> light -> smoke alarm -> light -> light

with each -> being a 2 core and earth cable.

Sponsored Links
Unless you want to interlink several smoke alarms.
In that case you run T&E from lighting circuit to first alarm then you need to run 3 core & earth cable from the first alarm to each of the linked alarms.
Two of the cores provide the power (live & neutral) and the third wire carries the interlink signal so if one alarm goes off then they all sound.

TTC

Thanks for the advice, but I'm still a little bit confused. I've drawn 3 diagrams as to what alternates I can think of. If you could say 1,2 or 3

1. light --> light --> light --> light
..................\
...................\
...............Smoke Alarm

2. light --> light --> light --> light
...................\........../
....................\......../
...............Smoke Alarm

3. light --> light light --> light
.....................\.. /
......................\../
.................Smoke Alarm

where --> and \ is Two Core and Earth cable.

Ignore the ....... as they are just there for spacing.

Cheers
Swedge

Sponsored Links
I would go with diagram 1, personally.

Are you planning on just having one smoke alarm in the whole property?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back