Mains smoke detectors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The instructions on my mains smoke detectors aren't clear.

I don't normally fit these but I am fitting three smoke detectors, one on each floor of a back to back terrace.

There are three wires. Brown, Blue and White. I understand the mains supply goes to brown and blue as you would expect. As per the instructions the white is the link between detectors to ensure that if one goes off they all go off.

Should the wiring be as follows? Twin/Earth from mains supply to the first detector and then 3 Core/earth to the next two daisy chained?
It also says a dedicated power supply should be provided. This obviously indicates a radial circuit on a separate MCB which I assume should be 6A?
Am I right in assuming some people have wired smoke detectors from the lighting circuit in the past? Have the regs changed recently and if so can someone point me to the correct reg?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
someone posted something a few days ago. If the alarms have battery backup they can run on the light circuit. If no batteries, must be on their own circuit (6A MCB)

if the alarms have battery backup then they can be connected to a local lighting cuircuit.

the trouble is this makes interconnection awkward (since few houses have all thier lighitng on one cuircuit) so in reality people normally put them on a dedicated cuircuit.

Thanks guys.
Am I right with the assumption though that there is no power required into the white wire. It is purely a connection point?

Sponsored Links
Nijinski001 said:
Thanks guys.
Am I right with the assumption though that there is no power required into the white wire. It is purely a connection point?
Yes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back