How to lock two bathroom doors from one place???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello...

I am designing a house with a Main Bathroom accessed obviously from the hallway. The thing is though, I would like to add a second door entry into the bathroom from a master bedroom that shares a partition with the bathroom. Obviously this would create a bathroom with two doors and accordingly the need to lock two separate doors when you use it.

So the question is, does anyone know of a locking mechanism (electronic, mechanical, electrical, etc) that could be installed that would when either of the two doors is locked automatically lock the other without the need to manually remember to lock both doors? Even a lock switch located centrally in the bathroom rather than locks controlled at the each of doors (I imagine something similar to a door entry system except in reverse - you press a switch to engage the lock rather than disengage it!)

Thanks for any answers/comments

Jamie.

Sponsored Links
why complicate it so much a normal door bolt on the inside and a door lock if required for security

when you enter the toilet bolt both doors when you leave unbolt both doors

an electronic solution is likly to cost hundreds

Is there room for a lobby accessed by two doors, with a separate lockable door leading to the cubicle?

Unfortunately space is at a premium in this instance as such no lobby otherwise that would have been a nice solution.

Sponsored Links
the 2 locks is the easiest / cheapest solution.

you can use electric locks but as said it will not be cheap.

you would need a couple of yale locks and door releases powersupply and suitable switch

I realise this is a bit of a silly idea but if you could find small pistons such as drum brake cylinders you could have a length of brake pipe running between them. When you open one it compresses the cylinder and forces the other shut.

Probably won't work, but would be fun trying!

As it isnt a dedicated en-suite, i wouldnt bother with that second door from the bedroom.
Personally i would find it very irritating to have to shut and lock 2 doors for every trip to the khazi and then have to unlock them both before leaving.
Even if you had a means of locking both doors at the same time, they still have to be shut first, unless you add door closers into the equation
I'm guessing you would find it easier and cheaper just to walk the long way round, from the bedroom.

A public swimming pool has done this where you enter the changing cubical from one door and leave to the pool on the opposite side. The doors are locked by pulling down the latch of one door. The latch is really the end of a lever which turns through 90 degrees at the pivot point to run under the seat along the connecting wall and through another 90 degrees to become the lever/latch for the other door. Very simple.

Shared en-suites are common in new build, and do just fine with a lock on each door.

IMO, in a family home there is no need for any complicated locking mechanism.

^woody^ said:
IMO, in a family home there is no need for any complicated locking mechanism.
Sadly there are some perverts about, I had to alter a bathroom lock so it couldn't be open from the outside for that reason.

You could use a magnetic or solenoid bolt lock on each door, when one is switched on it also energises the other, and would only need one switch. Wouldn't be cheep though. :eek:

It would need to fail open though, this way if the power fails they both unlock, and you don't get locked in.

Salem.

salem2000 said:
You could use a magnetic or solenoid bolt lock on each door, when one is switched on it also energises the other, and would only need one switch. Wouldn't be cheep though. :eek:

It would need to fail open though, this way if the power fails they both unlock, and you don't get locked in.

Salem.

I said that, last month

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back