how to make/fit registration plate for stove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to try and fit my solid fuel stove and registration plate myself. I have had a few experts round to look up my chimney and they all said it didn't need to be lined.
Does anyone know what would be involved in making a registration plate and would you leave a gap or incorporate a door for cleaning.

My neighbour fitted his own many years ago with no problems. I know it is best to get a proffessional in but that means waiting until next March!

I would appreciate advice on this, if it is very difficult i will of course wait until March,
Has anyone else done this successfully and safely.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
This site has information on register plates made to order.

They sound helpful (the website is full of good advice) so maybe they could help with advice on fitting, if you ask them.

Seems to me the whole purpose of the 'registration plate' is to blank off the gap between the flue (pipe) and the chimney - perhaps a better description would be a blanking plate with a flue hole in it. The website link posted shows two pics, one of which shows a plate with an access hole for sweeping, though why this side of the pipe needs sweeping is beyond me.

If you want to save money and make your own registration plate then take a look in yellow pages for steel stockholder and ask for 2mm mild steel plate cut to the size recommended, and remember to paint it to stop it from rusting, or better still, make it out of stainless steel - cut or jigsaw the hole for the flue and also for the inspection hole (if needed) - and if cutting in stainless steel cut very slooooow, using loads of coolant.

Sponsored Links
I found the easiest way to make and fix a plate is: -
Put 2 - 1/2 x 1/2 mild steel right angle along the width of the fireplace chimney so that you effectively make a "L" shape to which your register plate will sit into, if possible these can be drilled but as with most house chimneys the area is small, I wired brushed the soot and brick where I wanted it to go then bonded them onto the brick using no more nails or a similar product and supported them with some lenghts of wood, making sure they were level first.
PS if your brickwork inside is not straight you can cut small "V"s in the metal and bend the shape as near as possible.
Next get your 2mm thick register plate and make 2 sections that will fit slightly overlapping in one section cut a sweeping hatch and in both cut the semicircle for the chimney pipe elongate this section so when placed it causes them to overlap, use a suitable bonder and using the mild steel angle section bond the plate down onto this.
If you have irregular shapes on very tight area's you can use 4 sections instead.
When done fill gaps and edges with fire cement.
Voila air tight.
After doing mine you can actually hear the air rushing through the vents in the fire.

Got a similar issue, my chimney is small and I can't get the drill up there to get holes to mount the register plate frame, does the 'no nails' suggestion meet the regulations?

, one of which shows a plate with an access hole for sweeping, though why this side of the pipe needs sweeping is beyond me.

it`s for an unlined chimney - so you can sweep the chimney through the hole :idea:

Also the hole is there so you can clean off the top of the register plate as debris can collect on top that can catch fire.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back