How to make mini wooden sheds/box?

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've come up with an idea...
Make lots of 'mini' wooden sheds/boxes.
These I will use to store, things - I will put a plastic box inside and store things inside of that.

I wanted advice on how to make water proof?
Would the wood expand and contract with water and eventually go bad? Do I need to add some sort of treatment?

How to make rain force proof? Many many hits of rain will damage the top - I guess that's why they have roofing?
The only thing is... I would like to have it become like a bench - something you can sit on.

What should I put on the bottom? I would prefer not to make a home for lots of creepy crawlies underneath!

What wood should I get?
Where should I buy the wood from?

Just looking for ideas.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Yes
What I want is boxes that you can sit on.
Let me know if you can give any advice.
Thanks.

Not really sure what you're trying to achieve if I'm honest, nor why you want / need to do what I think you're suggesting.

How about a cut down set of old chemist shop drawers with a seating top on it??

Sponsored Links
a wooden box, outside and not under cover, will get wet.

It will accumulate slugs, spiders, woodworm, moths and woodlice

and will rot.

I wanted advice on how to make water proof?
Would the wood expand and contract with water and eventually go bad? Do I need to add some sort of treatment?
Yes, there is no point spending effort on making an outdoor object out of timber and not finishing with an appropriate coating. Be prepared to re-finish it over the years, too.

How to make rain force proof? Many many hits of rain will damage the top - I guess that's why they have roofing?
The only thing is... I would like to have it become like a bench - something you can sit on.

Any horizontal surface outdoors is going to have water sat on it, possibly even for weeks at a time. Look at other wooden things that live outdoors, they tend to be shaped to shed water. I am just assuming here that something you want to sit on is going to be horizontal, maybe it isn't!
I can't really think of a finish/design in timber that does all of a) look nice b) is comfortable to sit on c) is weather-resistant d) low maintenance. Pick 3 out of 4.

What should I put on the bottom? I would prefer not to make a home for lots of creepy crawlies underneath!

For the bits in direct contact with the ground I suggest you use something that isn't timber, if you can incorporate that in to your design, eg some kind of feet.

What wood should I get?
Where should I buy the wood from?

Treated hardwood would last the longest, but is the most expensive. Use a local timber merchant.

Attachments

• upload_2020-6-29_22-23-57.png
    upload_2020-6-29_22-23-57.png
    113.8 KB · Views: 209
  • upload_2020-6-29_22-23-57.jpeg
    upload_2020-6-29_22-23-57.jpeg
    21.3 KB · Views: 211

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back