Help, Brand new wooden stable leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had a wooden stable built and unfortunately every time it rains, the whole of the back of it gets wet inside.
Both the horizontal pieces of wood and the vertical posts.

I contacted the company who made and erected it and was told that this happens in some stables and that all I needed to do was creosote it.

I did it yesterday with a creosote type paint but this morning after rain, it is still wet inside in quite a few places along the wood, especially at the ends of the horizontal pieces.

I wondered if the creosote hadn't dried properly before the rain and would that matter?

I also feel having paid a few thousand pounds for the stable and tack room that I should be able to expect it to be dry inside.
I was a little surprised to be simply told that it was down to me to make it water proof.
Can anyone in the business tell me if it is the 'norm' for the customer to make a stable weather proof?

I would really appreciate advice and please point out basic things to check and do as I have no experience of carpentry etc.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
I'd be inclined to mention trading standards to the builders as it's clearly not fit for purpose if it's meant to be waterproof.
Any chance of some photo's to give us a better idea?

What's the roof covering has it got?

I guess the Walls are shiplap or cladding?

Got any guttering?

thank you for your replies.

I don't know what you call it but the horizontal panels overlap each other slightly and the brochure says it is 6 feet x 3/4inch Larch treated weatherboarding.

It has an onduline roof and guttering to the front and back with an overhang roof to the front.
I have checked the guttering which is clear.

Looking at the inside of the stable, the wetness seems to creep up the horizontal boards from the bottom edge and is worse at the ends of the boards where the vertical posts are also wet.
The lower section has 'kick boards' fitted for (non horsy people these are plyboard sheets) so I cant see if it is also wet there.

I don't have any pictures sorry.

Its not due to age as it has only been up for a few weeks and was wet the first time it rained.

Sponsored Links
I know exactly what you have (will be repairing one Monday!) but unfortunately without seeing it and no pictures, it's hard to tell.

Thanks
I will try in next couple of days to get some photos.

I totally lathered it with the creosote type liquid on the horizontal wood and into the joins.
I also made sure I painted right up into where the boards overlap.

I am just worried that since this has not sorted the problem, it may be a construction problem.

I have emailed the company again but they did not respond to my initial email and I had to go in to the office.

I felt at a loss (sorry guys I do not mean to be rude) as I didn't know what I can or can't expect from the manufacturer and felt like a 'typical' woman in a man's domain!

It is a construction problem, it shouldn't leak, what's the point of it if it does?

Coating the boards will only help protect the wood from rotting, not to seal it and for them to suggest it, just sounds like they want to fob you off.

I appreciate your replies, it gives me confidence to ask them to rectify it.

I have just been out to have another look, it has been raining most of the day.

It is definately most wet where the panels meet, the horizontal boards here are totally wet from the top to the bottom of each piece.

Then the whole length of the horizontal boards are wet for about an inch along both the top and the bottom of each piece.

On the outside where the joins of the sections are, there are varying gaps between each section as you look from top to bottom.
Not huge gaps but definate gaps.

Can anyone suggest what I should be asking them to do?

ie, plug these gaps some how or should I be asking for whole new panels?

Or should I just simply be asking for it to be made weather proof and leave the how to them?

thank you all again.

Sorry I forgot to answer...

No, it doesnt mention anything in the brochure or paper work.

I was told prior to purchase that the wood was treated so there was no need for messy treatments.

I was told when I went in person to mention the wetness that, all 'I', as opposed to them, had to do was creosote it.
I was also told that it happens to about one in twenty stables and that it just happens sometimes and a lick of paint would sort it.

If this happens to 1 in 20 of them, then ask them to replace it with one of the other 19.

Its leaking= faulty item.

Andy

Ha, I think I might use that!

I appreciate that you haven't seen the stable or photos but from everyone's views I do now feel that the company need to sort it.

Fingers crossed.... if I get nowhere I will ask again for advice on what I can do myself to patch it up and will post pictures.

Thank you all very much for your time.

I am not sure of etiquette. Perhaps this is chatting rather than asking for advice, however I feel obliged to let you know an update after your help.
If it isn't appropriate please tell me.

The suppliers of the stable told me that one coat of treatment was not enough and that it needed two or three. I told them that I did not expect to have to weather proof the stable and tack room when I bought it (given that I was told that it would never need treated).
They sent someone out who painted two sides then ran out of paint. I have not heard from them since.
Still, it is a start and I am grateful to people here who gave me advice.
I will wait and see if the creosote works magic as they promise.....

I have further questions which I will post on the builders site.
I can not give advice on any topic here and am purely asking.
Again, Im not sure on the etiquette, I can't trade off getting advice with giving it but I can say that all time taken to read my queries and offer advice is appreciated.

Thank you Paul,
I feel that I have experienced a serious learning curve getting this stable and will know in the future some pitfalls.
I am very grateful that people such as yourself are prepared to give time and advice to people like myself.
Perhaps you take your knowledge for granted when chatting amongst fellow enthusiasts.
However, certainly for me, advice is heeded and appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back