Help, Brand new wooden stable leaking

Thank you Paul,
I feel that I have experienced a serious learning curve getting this stable and will know in the future some pitfalls.
I am very grateful that people such as yourself are prepared to give time and advice to people like myself.
Perhaps you take your knowledge for granted when chatting amongst fellow enthusiasts.
However, certainly for me, advice is heeded and appreciated.

No problem, thank you.

Just for your info, I'm currently working at a riding stables, they have quite a few new stable boxes. None of these are coated in anyway and don't leak.

Sponsored Links
Creosote is a preservative, it will not prevent water penetrating no matter how many coats it has.I assume it's a creosote substitute since it's been banned from sale to the public since 2003.

It sounds like the timbers have shrunk since construction (or they weren't joined tightly together in the first place) hence allowing the water ingress.
I think the company involved should put things right, but if Apple's luck is really in the timbers may expand a bit and help seal things.
Wood treatments don't fill gaps - although they may help water to run off.
Its advisable to prevent rain splash from the bottom if possible, but if all help fails its out with the sealant gun, I guess.
John :)

Apple40,

I know nothing about stables but I have just been reading this thread and am still unsure of the exact type of weatherboarding/cladding you have.

At the bottom of this LINK there are three common types of larch cladding - if you click on them you will see images of each type. If you can tell us which of these you have (if any) then it may shed a little more light on what could be causing the problem.

As has been said, the stable really shouldn't be leaking at all and most treatments only act as a preservative - even the cheapest of cheap featheredge sheds are designed not to let water in. It is the stable builders duty to ensure that it doesn't leak and your duty is only to apply a maintenance coat of preservative, once or twice a year, to prevent the wood from rotting (not leaking). If the timber was factory pressure treated (you only say treated so I doubt it was), theoretically, you shouldn't even need to apply a preservative, although it is wise to do so.

By the way, there is no obligation for you to offer advice on the forum so don't worry about that. ;)

Sponsored Links
It is feather looking at the links.

I am still waiting for contact from the company as to when they are going to come out and even finish the creosote painting.

I have not told them I have asked advice on here and I fully appreciate that it would not be right for me to quote any correspondence I have had on here.

I can however say to them that I have sought various advice and that the general concensus is that it should not leak in the first place.

I am aware that I want to avoid confrontation. They make me feel that I don't know what I'm talking about ( I don't,) and I guess that right now I'm sticking my head in the sand because I don't feel confident to 'tell' them it still isn't right, instead I just accept meekly what they say.

I need to get a grip and speak to them, I will update when I stop being a fairy and stand my ground!

do you have any male friends preferably farmers
the attitude will change when talking to a male sad i know but true :eek:

That's okay, I understand what you mean.

It is a good idea, it would be moral support for me and a less personal and more business like approach.

an update..
I spoke today to trading standards who diverted me to a help line.
They gave me guidelines for a letter to write to the company.

I also spoke to several other stable manufacturers and explained my situation and asked if they were okay to answer some general questions about what they provided and what their customers could expect.
I didn't mention the name of the company who built my stable and I was open about why I was asking the questions.

From six companies, it seems that I have in fact perhaps been 'fobbed'off.

I have arranged that when the company do come back, I will have male company for moral support.
(sorry ladies who are equally competent in DIY but I am not. It is a proven fact, though I don't like it either, that women are more vulnerable in DIY or car related issues to be 'taken for a ride'. This does not mean I condone this attitude,nor do I think think that all men do this. I am not saying that all women know nothing about DIY. I am saying, I know nothing in this situation and have obviously come across people prepared to take advantage of this.)

I read a post in another section of this site about hiring tradesmen.
I did all the recommended things.
From the consumer aspect , learning from experience I would add that you need to ask about after care services and what you can expect.

Also, as the customer you should not assume that the 'expert' will guide you and actually has that expertise.
I have learned that it isn't always the case.
I also thought that employing a local rather than national company was a good thing to do!

On a plus note, having spoken to various stable providers I have found that doing a lot of home work does pay off and I have simply been unlucky.

I saw photos of previous work and got personal recommendations to use the company I used. They were not the cheapest by far. I relied on that but it hasn't helped me when things haven't gone to plan.

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that there will be a happy ending.

I keep feeling guilty at asking them to do what they said on the tin!!!!

and the brochure says it is 6 feet x 3/4inch Larch treated weatherboarding

The lack of punctuation in the above could allow it be read in different ways, but I take it to mean that the wood is treated ( which is strange because larch doesn't generally need treatment ) which makes their subsequent statements about creosoting and painting nonsense.

Help us by posting some photos, otherwise it's just speculation on here.

I am going to borrow a camera at the weekend and will take some pictures, I had forgotten to do that as I hoped I would be sorted by now.

Sorry for the ambiguity about the treatment, I just wrote exactly what the brochure said.

Stupidly I can not remember exactly what the supplier told me when I went to see him about buying the stable initially as to how it was treated.

He told me that all the wood they used was treated and as such would never need any 'messy' treatments and would last for years.

At the risk of sounding stupid to those on here, that was good enough for me, I trusted that he mean't it.

Again, I can't remember what the sizes were but he told me that some cheaper producers use thinner wood and different joints etc.

I am rattling on....

Today after rain it is still wet inside though not as bad as before.

I appreciate that now my issue is about trying to make the supplier rectify the problem which is not a diy topic.

However, I will get pictures at the weekend and learn how to post them as if they continue to ignore me, I will need to try and patch up where I can.

A pal has said they will silicone up all the joins if need be.

I can not afford to spend a fortune getting it sorted and if the suppliers won't sort it, I would like to try and follow instructions and have a go at Do It My self!!

I've just found this thread...

Now, four months (and a lot of rain?) later...

Is it still leaking, or have you managed to get it sorted ? And if so, how ?

To me, it was a job for Trading Standards or the Daily Mail !

"Not of merchantable quality".

"Fix it, or take it away and give me my money back!"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back