How to move a washing machine down 2 flights of stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Firstly apologies if this is the wrong section to post this query in

I am moving in one week and am a little worried about how to get the washing machine out of our 2nd floor flat. Been doing some research and looks like the best idea is to use a stair climbing trolley and with 3 people I am hoping if we go slowly we will be able to get it down the stairs. Thing is the only trolley I can see to rent is with a safe working load of 50k now I am guessing washing machine weighs around 70k ish the guy in the shop told me it will still be ok but still a bit concerned it is not going to support the load.

If anybody has done this before and has good advice I would really appreciate it. I saw one comment on the net about trying to remove the concrete ballast blocks but not sure how easy this is to do and also how to get them back on etc

Thanks
Austin

Sponsored Links
Hi

If anybody has done this before and has good advice I would really appreciate it. I saw one comment on the net about trying to remove the concrete ballast blocks but not sure how easy this is to do and also how to get them back on etc

Thanks
Austin
Depends which make & model, but often just 2 bolts fixing it to the base of the drum assy & simple to remove by laying the machine on its' back. Although, if you have it strapped to a stair climing trolley I would not think you would have a problem leaving it in. I would have thought that they would be ok with a much higher than the recommended load. But obviously it's your decision, I've never tried it personally

About the only thing you will gain by taking off the balance weight is extra work. Unless you have a Miele professional that weighs 100+kg I wouldn't worry too much. Get a climber with integral strap or use a ratchet strap as jj mentions. Anyhow going downstairs isn't that bad...you have gravity on your side. Its much worse dragging the thing up 2 flights. The 50kg SWL climber they offered you is probably tested at min 50% overload before the certificate was even issued.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back