How to paint cabinets to get a good quality finish?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A basic question perhaps (and probably been asked before):

I am starting to make a simple cabinet and set of shelves in MDF. I would like the final finish to look professional and not too DIY.

Firstly, it was recommended I use Moisture Resistant MDF for the carcasses and shelving as it apparently gives a smoother surface for painting. Is this correct?

Secondly, I have no idea what to use or what the process is for getting a good smooth (seamless) paint finish?

I have done this sort of thing before (for my utility room) and the slight featheriness of the cut edges of the MDF never quite disappeared and the eggshell finish was never smooth like an eggshell.

I guess that the best advice would be to build it and get a professional in to spray it. Is that sound advice and if so, what should I be telling them I want by the way of finish?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
There are a number of ways of painting mdf.

The lengths that you go to will in part be determined by the quality of finish that you want.

MR MDF will provide crisper edges but it will cost more.

You will need to sand, sand and resand the edges to make them smooth. The degree will depend on the quality of your saw blade.

In the old day when I used to work for a cabinet maker we used a two part sealer form Morrells. You brush it on and it hardens the fluff, then you sand back. I do know some people that sand it as smooth as possible first and then apply waterbased primer to harden it flowed by more sanding.

The dog's finish will be achieved by spraying with acid cat spray. The paint costs are pretty high though and it is not suitable for spraying on site (overspray and toxicity).

On site I use waterbased primer, then sand it back, pretty much to the point where I can see the horizontal factory sanding lines.

I then finish with two coats of dulux trade oil based eggshell, applying the paint with anza paint pads (all other pads are crap). The primer does little to lock off the suction so I add owatrol to help the paint flow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back