How to paint summerhouse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I'm currently renovating a summerhouse which has been allowed to rot and decay. I've just finished putting a new roof on and replacing lots of rotting framework. New double glazed windows will go in soonish, so I'm starting to think about making the outside look better.

Ideally, I'd like to paint the whole thing a darkish grey colour, but I'm not sure what prep work I need to do and what paint (and primer?) I need.

I have no idea what preservatives/stains/varnishes etc may have been applied in the past.

It seems to me like the whole thing needs to be sanded down, though I don't really like the sound of that as the shape of the boards will make that a tedious job :(

Here are some pics, hopefully they'll help people give me some suggestions?

AHedmlwl.jpg

Eub4Zx6l.jpg

xDjXzo9l.jpg

ZjpAzYHl.jpg

9JYIdXFl.jpg

The kind of colour I'd like to end up with...
mjtgkynl.jpg

Cheers!
Rich

Sponsored Links
I'd ensure the timber is totally dry. Lightly sand by hand to take off all loose material only. If you have a lot of loose material on the surface, pressure washing might help, being careful not to damage the timber.

When completely dry, wipe with spirits. Use the recommended undercoat for the chosen colour. Two coats if not happy with one. Sand when dry to flatten uneven brush strokes
Apply top coat

We find a 100mm roller ideal for this type of work, using the brush only for the awkward bits. Consider a test patch first, doing all the steps to see if your happy with the result.

The roof looks top notch, but wait until you see the overall look, when its painted

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back