Renovating a 1920's Summerhouse - Where to start?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1920's Wooden Summerhouse. It once had a working turntable, but this has rusted away. It still sits on a substantial wooden base. It is ok in places but parts of the outer wall frames have rotted, as have some of the wood lap sides. It is painted but badly flaking
It is big and heavy - 10x8ft with double-doors at the front. Windows in poor condition. Wooden roof with felt.
Each side panel is bolted together with two old big bolts covered by layers of old paint.
Floor boards are also mixture of some sound and some rotted.
A big job.
Question is - should I try and renovate in situ or take the whole thing down and repair panels in a garage. Perhaps even get some parts dipped to strip paint. What would you experts do? I'm not an experienced DIYer!

Sponsored Links
at that age it may need a compleat rebuild, i would take it apart and see what has to be replaced. keep the rotten bits as a pattern.

heck :eek: you could rebuild it if you replaced most, if not all of the wood, or buy a nice new one, its down to they frame. not worth paying to have the wood striped as the wood looks as its past its best.

Sponsored Links
You say "summerhouse". Its a shed. An old one, and IMHO not worth the bother. But if you intend to do so, prepare to be disappointed. Most of the main timbers may be rotten and you'll end up with a very expensive...... SHED.

I fully appreciate your good intenions of keeping an old building, but c'mon., Its a shed.

Just my 2p

Just a shed.....well would you believe that Historic Scotland had to give us permission if we wanted to move it, let alone demolish it! And it has got a turntable underneath it - just rusted away of course! Believe it or not, it is still very pleasant inside - light and bright in the Summer. I'm still not convinced I want to give up on it just yet.

Has Historic Scotland offered anything in the way of grants to do up this valueable piece of "history"?
And yes I can't help thinking it's a glorified shed that will end up being almost brand new and costly when done up :confused:
Are we to assume with it being tight to the hedge that the summerhouse has been moved before as I can't see what use the turntable would be in that position.

a few pictures off the inside
as its painted inside be brutal and with a large screwdriver stab hard into the structure and cladding particularly at the bottom and in the corners start at the bottom and work your way up and take pictures off what happened

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back