How to protect a switched socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend has dementia and keeps switching off the socket near his chair. The problem is that the router and the phone are plugged into that socket so that both are out of action until the socket is switched on again. Any suggestions as to how the problem could be solved?

Sponsored Links
Unswitched socket?
1680025520487.png

Although, is he someone who would then pull the plugs out of the sockets?

Try some Sellotape/masking tape etc over the switch to begin with.
If he pulls the tape off then you could consider an unswitched socket outlet.
As a final resort, you could fit a lockable outdoor socket in it's place with a small padlock, (easy to snap open), or a couple of cable ties through the locking holes.

PS @bolo 2, you don't live in Ipswich by any chance? My FIL is guilty of doing this a few times. We have to make a 70 mile round trip to set it back up again. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Move the router to another socket. Buy a longer phone wire if needed

Or move the chair if that can be tolerated

---

If you're after minimal disruption or you think moves will cause distress, modify the socket so that regardless the switch position, the power is on (make the switch a placebo)

Move the router to another socket. Buy a longer phone wire if needed ... Or move the chair if that can be tolerated
Yes, there are many possibilities. Another would be to power the phone and router from an extension cable powered from a more distant socket - but that might introduce a 'trip hazard'.
If you're after minimal disruption or you think moves will cause distress, modify the socket so that regardless the switch position, the power is on (make the switch a placebo)
A fine idea in concept, but I would think difficult (or impossible) to implement in practice (and not necessarily 'safe'), given that the switch mechanism and 'socket' are usually within the same moulding- and a moulding which cannot necessarily be taken apart non-destructive I would personally strongly advise against any attempts at meddling with the inner workings of a switched socket in that way - particularly given that it would be simpler and quicker, as well as safer, to simply swap it for an unswitched socket.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for the replies guys. While he went to the toilet I moved his chair to what I thought was a better position for watching tv but when he came back he refused to sit on it because it was Colin’s chair. There is no Colin and I had to put the chair back because my friend was clearly upset. As soon as he sat down he switched the socket off and we lost the internet. Moved the router to another socket using the full length of the telephone cable but again lost the internet. Moved the router and the telephone to a bedroom telephone socket but again no internet. Seems to work only with phone socket in the lounge. Have found a temporary, but very inconvenient solution. Have disconnected the router and using the existing coax socket and cable behind the tv get a fair number of channels. Now the only plug beside his chair is that powering his reading lamp. Thank you for all of the suggestions even though some are not really safe for a PWD.

Two of my relatives have/had this disease -- it is heart-breaking and I feel for you.

Could it be possible to replace the router with a dummy one (broken, second hand, etc.) and simply move the original? Sounds like the other sockets are extension sockets which aren't set up correctly.

If so, a fix is to ensure the 2 wires from the terminals on the back of the faceplate go to 2 and 5 in the extension socket. You must then use a filter.

Last edited:
Moved the router to another socket using the full length of the telephone cable but again lost the internet
Didn't understand this one.. are you saying that you had this:

IMG_2754.jpeg

This being the router plugged into AC socket by the chair

And then you had this:

IMG_2755.jpeg

Which is unplugging the wall wart from the problem socket, and moving it, and only it, to some other socket and plugging it in?

Unless the second socket is inoperative this will not cause internet to fail. Routers don't care what AC socket they're plugged into so long as it provides power

There's some slight chance that disturbing/pulling on the phone wire introduced a poor connection but jiggling it should improve it unless it's broken inside. Obtaining another/longer phone cable should be suitably remedial if you determine this has occurred

Last edited:
Engineer called and asked why the router etc wasn’t plugged into the master socket which we didnt know existed. He hound it behind the tv, moved the router over and problem solved. The downside to all this is that in the space of 2 days my friend has lost the ability to use not only the remote control but also the telephone. Thank you again to all those who tried to help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back