How to put in this flooring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The wood I presume chipboard needs replacing, it's under the carpet. Should I replace the whole length or cut the rotten bit out with a circular saw (set to right depth).

To make it sit around architrave do I scribe it I with pencil on a piece of baton?
20200930_093249.jpg

Sponsored Links
I would lift the small bit first to check what is underneath, you do not want to go at it with a circular saw if you have Marley Thermoplastic (asbestos) tiles under there!(n)
If it is just wood floor under I would replace a small bit only, it can be secured with screws or nails rather than disturbing all the gripper rod.
I assume you have sorted out the cause of the water damage.

I would lift the small bit first to check what is underneath, you do not want to go at it with a circular saw if you have Marley Thermoplastic (asbestos) tiles under there!(n)
If it is just wood floor under I would replace a small bit only, it can be secured with screws or nails rather than disturbing all the gripper rod.
I assume you have sorted out the cause of the water damage.

I doubt asbestos. I think building is ten years old.

The wet part is falling apart so I guess just scrape or chisel that out to see what's under.
What would you use to cut a straight line to fit the patched chipboard?

Sponsored Links
Find and fix the leak first!

I take it this will be 10 pages long in 'how to fix a leak and fix flooring' to a handyman charging a gullible customer who thinks they have employed a tradesman.

Andy

Find and fix the leak first!

I take it this will be 10 pages long in 'how to fix a leak and fix flooring' to a handyman charging a gullible customer who thinks they have employed a tradesman.

Andy
No leak. Water coming in from bathroom

Looks like sloppy use of bathroom leading to water running out of doorway.
The shower base has no depth to it and consequently the water rushes over the low entrance onto the floor then into bedroom.

Regarding floor

Gonna measure depth, probably 18mm chipboard will set circular saw to that depth and cut a straight line across two chipboard. Then using this scribing device to cut around architrave. I heard it each board needs to be over minimum three joists then screw down.

Main worry is pipes underneath.
16019894288086006380234049624404.jpg

The shower base has no depth to it and consequently the water rushes over the low entrance onto the floor then into bedroom.

Regarding floor

Gonna measure depth, probably 18mm chipboard will set circular saw to that depth and cut a straight line across two chipboard. Then using this scribing device to cut around architrave. I heard it each board needs to be over minimum three joists then screw down.

Main worry is pipes underneath.View attachment 207177

Architrave is probably sitting on the boards, so you may well be able to slide it under. Then again, you might not be able to.

Regarding floor

Main worry is pipes underneath.View attachment 207177
Shower not installed correctly , should not flood.

Architrave is probably sitting on the boards, so you may well be able to slide it under. Then again, you might not be able to.
Either way I'll use my new toy to scribe it.

As long as no pipes are pierced it cant go too badly

Got my self amalgamation tape, towel and wet/dry vac.

Is there anyway to keep or the dust reduced that the circular saw will shoot out

Is there anyway to keep or the dust reduced that the circular saw will shoot out
I have a device that was invented circa 1900 i think it's called a vacuum cleaner.

For short cuts you can tape a carrier bag over outlet, catches much of the dust .

I guess it's like this only onto the chipboard
20201006_202729.jpg
20201006_202729.jpg
20201006_203125.jpg
20201006_203147.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back