How to put laminate boards down in this room?

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As soon as I've finished painting I will put laminate floor boards down (they are in the car already!). Should I start at the door entrance (different flooring will be in the corridor) with a cut down board at the wall, or start at the wall and work to the door? I will be filling that gap with some more floorboards beforehand.

IMG_20201103_140348585.jpg

Sponsored Links
At the door but you may need to cut boards down at either end of the room to avoid slivers (like tiling).

Alternatively the same boards in the hall and the room might be aesthetically pleasing.

Blup

Alternatively the same boards in the hall and the room might be aesthetically pleasing.

That would make life easier, but the boss wants something different in the hall.

I personally would have them running towards the window, so would start at the side wall, but that may not be best (I tend to regret most choices like this once I start and discover they are impractical or tricky to do!)

Sponsored Links
I did think about this. If I go from door to wall I can get the neat cut along the door - I've only got a fine hand saw for this.

I did think about this. If I go from door to wall I can get the neat cut along the door - I've only got a fine hand saw for this.
Would you not have a trim to cover it for the transition?

I think the impact depends on the style of the board, and haven't tried it in different orientations myself (laying it once is bad enough!), but I know the "recommendation" is to lay towards a window, as it apparently makes a room look bigger/brighter, but I don't knownhow accurate that is

Trim - yes, good point! yeah, I heard that too. It's not a big room so once the furniture is in there it probably won't make much difference.

i would lay them parallel to the hall ones...ie left to right looking in...
then your threshold bar will sit nicely

my living room planks run left to right looking from the hall..although has the same planks...
our planks have grout inserts so making the run of them more obvious..

Got this far ... Boards are 130cm by 19cm, room is 230cm by 290cm still not sure which way to do this!
IMG_20201108_185445224.jpg

I’d personally lay them the way you show IF you have anything other than boards in the hall. I would lay the hall ones in the longest orientation. If you had boards in the hall, they wouldn’t look right going crossways. Oh, and stagger the joints - don’t repeat the pattern you have now.

OK, MS Paint to the rescue. THis is to scale, room is 290cm by 230cm, so I made a rectangle 290px by 230px and drew the board 19px by 130px.

This is the result. Does it look OK? I think it should be easier to cut the boards at the end to be a little longer to go through door way than risk having a really thin bit along the door where everybody will see it all the time .... 230cm/19cm = 12.1 boards ... although it might work out Ok ...
the left side of the wall will be covered with furniture so an incomplete board won't really be noticeable there.

floor.png

does this look OK?

and, another question is, where do I put the door ... planning to put a pair of bifolds in there, it is 150cm wide. So i guess traditionally it would be on the inside of the room with the stops running more or less centre, so the laminate and hall tiles should meet there? Still need to fill that gap ...

IMG_20201109_113613125.jpg

and, another question is, where do I put the door ... planning to put a pair of bifolds in there, it is 150cm wide. So i guess traditionally it would be on the inside of the room with the stops running more or less centre, so the laminate and hall tiles should meet there? Still need to fill that gap ...

View attachment 210811

a hardwood threshold?..needs to be hardwearing.

https://www.flooringsupplies.co.uk/...MI-9bipeP17AIVV-J3Ch0LHAuGEAQYBCABEgLm_PD_BwE

https://www.flooringsupplies.co.uk/...MI5-Gv--T17AIVCNZ3Ch1C0QeREAQYCCABEgLe8vD_BwE

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back