reduce depth of a window sill board (part 2)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys,

I posted this question in the Windows and Doors forum but in hindsight it's probably one for here.

I need to reduce the amount an internal window sill protrudes into the room. It currently comes out from the window and carries on beyond the wall line by approximately 4cm, I need to reduce it to approx 2cm, so it doesn't stick out more than the thickness of the skirting board does.

i was thinking...

a. Could a router be used to shave off 2cm from the sill in situ, leaving a rounded edge? I don't have the tool but wondering if it is even possible, then could I buy/hire the power tool, or pay a carpenter a few quid to do this using his tool/skill.

b. I could try and remove the current board completely, cut it down by 2cm along the back edges using a jigsaw, then put it back (keeping the rounded, room edge un-altered). However I can't seem to get the sill off, I think I'm going to make a mess of the sill/wall doing this, it might be screwed and glued but hard to tell.

Cheers for any help and guidance you can give me.

Christian

Sponsored Links
I doubt you will get a router in there as it will only cut to a few inches from the reveal each end.
I think I would try a power planer and round off with glass paper afterwards.

Thanks footprint, I am not sure how steady my hand would be with a power planer but I'm always up for a challenge!

foxhole - to explain why....

I've got a room that I want to fit 2 x 1.5m wide Ikea PAX wardrobes side by side, so 3,000mm wide in total. I know I could go the custom made wardrobe route but I need to be able to remove the wardrobes at a later date when the room function is likely to change.

The room is 3,000mm wide and I have 3,015mm of space when measuring between the face of the skirting boards on either side of the room (i.e. Just enough space to fit snugly), BUT I have a window on one side of the room and the wooden sill protrudes out further than the skirting, by an extra couple of cm, making the space just under the required 3,000m. By taking the overhang from 40mm down to 20mm I would solve the problem.

Hope that makes sense?

Sponsored Links
A router would work if there is enough room for it to slide along the full length of the sill. Depends on the geometry of the window. Otherwise I would simply use a handsaw or jigsaw to cut almost 2cm off the front, then round it off with a handplane / sandpaper / rasp (or just bevel the edges, rather than round).

If its only 20mm a good sharp plane would easily do that job and by the time you've shaped and sandpapered it your only talking 30mins It would probably take you longer than that to rig up the dust sheets set up the router and a possible jig then do the work and clean the mess up.

Thanks very much chaps, I think I will try to run a jigsaw along a straight line, then shape/round off the edges by sanding :)

I think this should be lowest risk for me to attempt and I have the jigsaw already.

To answer one of the suggestions regarding cutting into the unit, it would be the side of the carcase and not the back so wouldn't really work, the units are 236cm high, the room is 237cm high and IKEA say you need 10cm clearance to build so should fit fine height wise.

not
Thanks very much chaps, I think I will try to run a jigsaw along a straight line, then shape/round off the edges by sanding :)

I think this should be lowest risk for me to attempt and I have the jigsaw already.

To answer one of the suggestions regarding cutting into the unit, it would be the side of the carcase and not the back so wouldn't really work, the units are 236cm high, the room is 237cm high and IKEA say you need 10cm clearance to build so should fit fine height wise.
the gap may be the same across the floor but if both dip by 20mm they wont fit

your units are too high really to allow for deviations
if you can assemble them fully upright then thats one less problem

can the units be fully constructed in upright position with only access within ??

100mm is more sensible all round to allow for deviations less is possible but more likely to fail

edit just read it again 10cm not 10 mm so possible if the can be assembled upright

Last edited:
You could remove skirting section on opposite side to window to gain extra space.?

Hi guys,
After receiving good advice I just wanted to come back and let you know the outcome.

I eventually decided to just cut the part of the sill back where the wardrobe overlapped. I bought a multi-tool and nervously went for it.

The measurements and cut are just right and it has given me just enough space. Once the sliding door is added to the front of the wardrobe (which add 80mm), the majority of the 85mm currently visible cut face will be hidden and once painted white should not look untidy.

Couple of photos from after the cut.

Thanks for all the ideas and advice

Attachments

• WP_20160402_22_23_26_Rich_LI.jpg
    WP_20160402_22_23_26_Rich_LI.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 502
  • WP_20160402_22_23_05_Rich_LI.jpg
    WP_20160402_22_23_05_Rich_LI.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 469
great thanks for getting back to us and letting us know how you got on its greatly appreciated (y)
just noticed the "closing the other thread" comment as well not me as i have no admin powers on this forum :D:D

One last pic.. the sliding doors are still to go on but this illustrate the tightness of wall to wall fit and why the sill needed to be cut to make it all work.

I know it's only Ikea stuff but I'm happy.

Cheers all again for your help ☺

Attachments

• WP_20160418_22_15_05_Rich.jpg
    WP_20160418_22_15_05_Rich.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 415

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back