reduce depth of a window sill board (part 2)

excellent job worth the heartache as it worked
but so easy to go wrong when its that tight :D

Sponsored Links
That's a shame , could have taken my advice and left sill intact.

Yes that definitely would have worked too and looked decent as the wardrobe would be flush to the left wall

To be honest I had to pick a low risk option was nervous about removing it as we had recently had a sliding cavity door installed and replastered on that wall and I didn't want to end up pulling it off and damaging the plaster then having more to rectify. I've kept the offcut from the sill so it will be easy to reverse the removal if we ever got rid of the wardrobes.

am i the only one confused here???
sliding doors need to run on tracks set in front off any internals that will impede the smooth flow off the doors
off which you have neither ???o_O

Sponsored Links
am i the only one confused here???
sliding doors need to run on tracks set in front off any internals that will impede the smooth flow off the doors
off which you have neither ???o_O

The crux of it is simply that the wardrobes (with or without sliding doors fitted) are slightly wider than the space available due to the window sill intruding into the space needed by about 20mm.

The sliding doors, once fitted won't make the wardrobes any wider but will add about 70mm to the depth, which is why if you look at one of the earlier photos, the cut out to the sill goes well beyond the front of the wardrobes carcases... To provide space for the extra depth once the doors go on..

hope makes some sense!

It's IKEA stuff, so there is a frame and doors that are part of the set which will fit perfectly to the front of these carcasses, I just haven't fitted them yet ;)

All comes from the PAX range, you can pick carcasses, chose your desired internal layout of draws, shelves, hangers etc., choose doors, finish colour etc.
You do it all that on their design application the website so you can see exactly how it will look and confirm the dimensions... then click 'order and pay' and a million boxes turn up with all the parts you need... for you to assemble. You can also do the design in store with advice from IKEA people, it is exactly the same design software they just stand next to you and provide advice.

i assume its 4 doors and they are exactly 1/4 width[plus up to 15m]
and all four sections off the wardrobe are exactly the same size ??

Last edited:
Yeah that's right big-all (y)

The frame and hence rails that the doors will slide on will be split in the middle so the two left most doors will slide across each other and the two right most doors will slide across each other.

excellent you will get the drawers open :LOL:
people forget the overlap and the space the doors occupied :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back