How to reduce floor level in garage conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I’m am hoping on extending my living room into my integrated garage at the side of my house next year .
My house has already been extended in 2007 which included a bathroom and bedroom upstairs and a living room and garage downstairs .
My ceiling downstairs from living room to garage is running at the same hight but when measuring my floor level down from the first floor joist I have a 70mm discrepancy from living room to garage.
Now I’m pretty sure that garage subfloors tend to be lower than the house for petrol leaks etc. but my garage floor is 70mm higher!
I would obviously like to have the floor running level all the way through the living room without having a 70mm step.
Has anyone ever come across this or has anyone any idea why this would be the case and how I would lower the concrete floor in the garage?

Thanks Mo

Sponsored Links
Not sure why it would be higher - but it would be a case of digging it all out down to a height where you can insulate and pour concrete on top - or dig down enough to build a sub floor.
i think the regulations are 100mm insulation and 100mm concrete - so if you dig down 270 and you have a good sub base you can go from there - or you need to go lower and put some type 1 down as first

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back