How to refill my Boiler?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a Worcester Greenstar gas boiler and I recently removed some radiators to decorate. I now need to add the radiators back into the system and refill them and try to get the bolier pressure back to the correct level.

Having looked online I was expecting to see the refilling point for my boiler underneath and was expecting to have a plastic key with which to refill it. However having looked I cannot find where to refill the system! Looking at the below pictures can you provide any guidance?

You will also note in the 5th picture (looking up under the boiler) the connection between the white and grey plastic pipes has a drip. Advice on how to fix that would also be appreciated!

Thank you

1.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Sponsored Links
In the fifth picture there is a red lever o the r/h side
Pull down on that gently , some of them have a lever similar to that and you should hear the sound of water movement
Not 100% sure about that but give it a try

The drip is your condensate pipe just need pushed on correctly

In the fifth picture there is a red lever o the r/h side
Pull down on that gently , some of them have a lever similar to that and you should hear the sound of water movement
Not 100% sure about that but give it a try
You can see the cap in the valve.

Your filling loop isn't in any of those pictures.

Sponsored Links
wheres your filling loop ? should attact to where that cap is in your 5th picture i think . take wider picture of the 5th picture

Agreed with the previous posters it's not there, if you pull the lever the only possibility of movement of water will be onto the floor!
The drip is probably a faulty joint on the elbow of the condensate pipe, it's not going to flood you out but it might be worth cutting off and remaking. Or you could get away with some silicone;)

wheres your filling loop ? should attact to where that cap is in your 5th picture i think . take wider picture of the 5th picture

Thanks. I will grab a new picture tonight. When looking for the filling loop, what pipe do I need to try to trace?

Agreed with the previous posters it's not there, if you pull the lever the only possibility of movement of water will be onto the floor!
The drip is probably a faulty joint on the elbow of the condensate pipe, it's not going to flood you out but it might be worth cutting off and remaking. Or you could get away with some silicone;)

Thanks for the input. So what does the condensate pipe do? Is it typically full of water under pressure (like the rest of the system), and would I need to some how empty the system before cutting the pipe? Or is it some form of "overflow", so cutting the pipe won't lead to a horrendous flood?

Assuming I patch it with silicon, would sort of product would work best?

It's just for draining the condensation from the combustion chamber, when you burn gas you get steam so it's just a trickle when the boiler is running. No need to drain it first. The water is acidic in the same way a fizzy drink is.
With the filling loop look for another cover nearby with a similar lever or slot trap,potentially with a braided silver hose attached. It would be attached to the cold water system probably on a 15mm pipe.

Below is a further shot of the underside of the boiler, showing the "tap".

20170508_173559.jpg

I had a good look around the boiler room and could not find any filling loop or flexi hoses. Thinking about it the boiler room is a separate external area and not near any sources of water (e.g. sinks). I also found the below item in the boiler room. Is it possible that the below attaches to the "tap" in the above picture and perhaps a garden hose is used to refill the system? Would that seem logical?

20170508_173519.jpg

Last edited:
Both photos are the first one, can you repost the second one?
Perhaps it was originally filled from a long hose. There's nothing to stop you connecting it to an outside tap to fill it with the right adaptor.

Ah yes you will probably find that can screw on to the place where the blanking plate is. Then you can connect a garden hose to it, would be worth priming the hose first to avoid filling your system with loads of air.
You should only connect the hose to an outside tap, not the kitchen sink etc, as the outside tap will have a double check valve, basically to stop the boiler water flowing back into your fresh water pipes.
Once you've connected it securely you can turn the hose on and use the boiler tap in your photo to let the water in. Watch the hose doesn't pop off though and spray everywhere, a low setting on the outside tap should limit the damage if it does.
If I've forgotten anything someone will be along in a minute;)

Thanks for the help! I will give filling it a go at the weekend!

Is this access point the same place where you would try to insert corrosion inhibitor?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back