How to refinish internal plastered brick walls that have had the plaster removed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I am renovating a terraced house in London. All the old lath and plaster internal walls and ceilings have been removed. I have also hacked off all the old plaster from the external brick walls (on the inside of the property).

I will insulate and add new plasterboard and skim the internal stud walls.

What should I do about the brick walls though? I have two party walls and a front and back wall. They have all been taken back to brick.

For the external walls (front and back) I was thinking of doing a relatively thin insulated plasterboard fixed with dot and dab and mechanical fixings. (Something like
ECOTHERM Eco-Liner (1.2m x 2.4m x 37.5mm).

Do I need to plasterboard the party walls too or can they be plastered directly?

Sponsored Links
Strictly speaking, now you've gone back to brick you are required to consider insulating those external walls to refurb standard (can't remember U value but its about 80mm of Celotex type stuff)
Have a think about acoustic control on the party walls.
Why are you insulating internal stud walls?

Strictly speaking, now you've gone back to brick you are required to consider insulating those external walls to refurb standard (can't remember U value but its about 80mm of Celotex type stuff)
Have a think about acoustic control on the party walls.
Why are you insulating internal stud walls?

Thanks. I will look more into your comment about insulating the external walls to refurb standard.

Regarding insulating the internal walls, it's mostly for sound insulation.

Thanks. I will look more into your comment about insulating the external walls to refurb standard.

Regarding insulating the internal walls, it's mostly for sound insulation.
Fair dos. Mass is king for sound- rockwool is better than air, acoustic slabs are better than rockwool. Have a think about acoustic plasterboard on those stud walls as well (more mass).
If rooms share floorboards (ie they go under the stud walls) that'll increase transmission as well, consider separating them while you have the chance

Sponsored Links
Fair dos. Mass is king for sound- rockwool is better than air, acoustic slabs are better than rockwool. Have a think about acoustic plasterboard on those stud walls as well (more mass).
If rooms share floorboards (ie they go under the stud walls) that'll increase transmission as well, consider separating them while you have the chance

Thanks.

Still looking for some thoughts on the best way to deal with the exposed brick party walls. Anyone care to share their thoughts?

Sort of depends how big your rooms are. If you get noise problems from nextdoor neighbours and you have the room you might want to build some false stud walls (fixed to floor & ceiling only with any wall fixes being isolating type) then stuff void with acoustic slabs and board with acoustic pb or double normal boards or even Hardie type tile backing board..
Or just dot and dab with normal or acoustic board.
Or do it trad wet plaster straight to brick, no plasterboard involved.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back