How to remove a wall anchor??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can help with some advice. The previous owner of my house decided to put a wall anchor in the middle of my kitchen wall I would now like to move it, as I don't keep bicycles in my kitchen...any ideas on whether I would be able to do this?

It's not exactly this one but found a similar one in homebase: http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wc...7&c_1=1|category_root|Outdoor+Living|14047043

Thanks,

Emily

Sponsored Links
Presumably on the outside wall!
These things are meant to be secure, and therefore often have bolts with shear off heads to fix them....once the bolts are tightened they - yes - shear off. There are other methods too.
Anyway, you need to beg borrow or steal an angle grinder, and carefully cut the thing away. Plenty of sparks! Use eye protection.
John :)

Angle grinder! Sounds scary! Unfortunately the anchor is in the inside of the kitchen (I think they really did love there bikes) which creates the added complication of plaster!

The trouble is Emily these things are made from hardened steel, and therefore cannot be cut with usual cutting tools.
The one in your picture seems to have some sort of cover enclosing the securing bolts, but the principle is the same.
Skilled use of an angle grinder (41/2" one) will soon see it off, with minimal wall damage.
You could always leave it as a 'conversation piece' when someone boring comes round.... :D
John :)

Sponsored Links
If the heads have been sheared off, you could try an "easyout" or "bolt extractor". It works by tapping left-handed into a pre-drilled hole in the centre of the bolt/screw. They come in various sizes to suit.
If this anchor is fixed by screwing into the wall it's going to take continuous torque to extract. (If you can understand what I mean) It's not going to get much easier during the extraction process.

Otherwise if it's bolted into a socket in the wall it is possible to loosen the sheared-off bolt with a small chisel (and the hammer obviously). Once loosened it can usually be unscrewed easily.

As burnerman says, if you can't see the fixings you'll need to remove the cover to access the fixings.

Or leave it to lock the boring guests to while you continue in the dining room. ;)

where exactly is it in the kitchen?

wa it always a kitchen?

post us some photo's of it and the kitchen in general

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back