How to remove an alarm without access to the bell box?

CJR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an IntelliSense 802 alarm which came with the house, I now want to remove it but the bell box is way beyond where I am prepared to go with a ladder!

I have all the codes, the manual, and I've tried powering down the system but the external alarm keeps sounding, is there any way to silence it via the control panel? Would resetting the system before removing the power help?

TIA

Sponsored Links
Hi CJR

In my experience the answer is no, due to the anti tamper systems in place on alarms if the cables get cut/disconnected then the alarm box will sound until the battery runs down unless its solar powered then youre stuffed. best advice is find someone willing to go up a ladder and remove it. try bribing the local window cleaner when he is on his rounds or if someone is having roof work done ask the guys doing the work. whats the worst they can say. Hope this helps Dave.

thanks for the fast reply.

so resetting the control panel back to factory defaults won't help then?

many thanks.

Hi, The bellbox is designed so when the hold off supply is lost it will self activate. If your lucky it will shut up after 15 mins (it's possible it might go off again as it's battery gets low) or until the hold off supply is restored or until its battery is dead (this could be hours. Not a good idea!).

The bellbox does not care if the panel has been defaulted. All it needs is a permanent 12v supply, which keeps it quiet.

djrock

Sponsored Links
OR in other words, just remove the power to the panel (including any battery).

The box will go off.

Go out, stare at it, shrug your shoulders - ensure the neighbours see you.
(so they know its a fault & not to call cops).

Wait 15-20 mins for it to shutup.

Carry on removing panel.

Thanks for all the advice.

I tried letting it go off and it was going to go on forever so I've decided to get an alarm firm in to deal with it. Not sure i'll get an outside bell box fitted to replace it (I don't like things I can't bodge until an expert arrives).

Would it be a good idea to hide a siren under the floor boards? if someone was determined enough to find it and silence it then the sound hasn't put them off and i'd be able to hit it with a hammer myself if the need arose.

Cheers.

I would think that would make it too quiet. Their should not be a need for you to hit it with a hammer! If your going to fit a new one read the instructions. They will tell you how to install it. You will then know how to shut it up permanently without any damage.

djrock

last but one house, I had a siren inside by the front door.

Anyone breaking in through there got a right earfull :D

Don't you have a neighbour with an air rifle.. you could have fun shooting it off the wall.. :D

Alarm Engineer's Trick Stick a Megger on the 12/ov feed that will fry the SAB Module (Ididn't tell you that though!!!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back