Honeywell Accentra - How to Turn Off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Have a newish Accenta alarm system, self installed, with a Honeywell AG6 bell box.

It all works well, but yesterday needed to remove a PIR for decorating, but found that if I powered the control unit off and disconnected the battery then the Bell box alarm sounds.

While I could disconnect the PIR while 'hot' its not a good way, but reading the manual cannot see a way to power off Quietly, short of geting the ladders out to jumper the bell box off.

any ideas ..?

Sponsored Links
Alarm systems are fail safe.
Turn off power and disconnect battery then the alarm will ring outside for 20 minutes unless you get your ladder and disconnect the bell box
Why didn't you disconnect the pir in the control panel and link out the zone while decorating

Ok, thanks, seems there is no way as such then, thought I better just ask in case I had missed some point as the manual is a bit obtuse to the diy-er.

All the +12 and 0v connections are commoned in to bundles and the tamper circuits are in a daisy chained bundle so totally isolating one sensor is not easy.
Suppose thats a mistake and I should have made a small pcb with individual connectors to make such servicing easier, though very little space in that case to fit one.

What are doing with the pir ?
If you are wallpapering you could remove the screws which hold the detector on the wall and rebuild pir back and just leave the detector hanging on its wire ?
You could also disconnect the tamper at the detector and twist the tamper pair together and cover with insulation tape.Do the same with the alarm pair.Now cut the positive wire and cover with tape and then cut the negative wire and cover with tape ?
DO NOT CUT POSITIVE AND NEGATIVE AT THE SAME TIME AS THIS WILL BLOW FUSE ON CONTROL PANEL

Sponsored Links
Do as Handymanjo says or disconnect the power pair for the bell at the panel, disconnect the battery in the panel and use it to power the bell (it will sound while you have it disconnected). Then power down the mains to the panel. This will leave the panel completely powered down and the bell will be "held off" by the battery. You should get a good few hours to do your work before the battery runs low.

Personally, I would disconnect the +12V in the PIR and insulate it with tape and then just disconnect everything else, being careful when pulling the cable out of the PIR not to lose the tape! Most panels won't have a problem if you short -ve and/or tamper and zone connections (if you're in engineer's mode).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back