How to remove car paint varnish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
The varnish on my red Mazda Eunos, is peeling off, so I want to remove what's left.
What can I do to remove the varnish, especially a chmical method, please?
Cheers, Camerart

Sponsored Links
I think you would need to use a liquid abrasive compound and a rotary polishing machine at low speed......I would think any chemical treatment would damage the gloss paint beneath.
Careful not to overdo the pressure, and you’d need fresh lacquer to preserve what’s left of the red. It’s the worst colour of all to react with sun attack unfortunately.
John

I think you would need to use a liquid abrasive compound and a rotary polishing machine at low speed......I would think any chemical treatment would damage the gloss paint beneath.
Careful not to overdo the pressure, and you’d need fresh lacquer to preserve what’s left of the red. It’s the worst colour of all to react with sun attack unfortunately.
John
Hi B,
A polishing machine is bit to much work really, especially in the corners etc, so chemicals please.
Thanks, c.

Chemicals such as those based on acetone will shift lacquer but the result is likely to be a gelatinous mess which is a swine to remove!
Best check it out with a body shop but I guess they will say the same.
I like the Eunos......did many a timing belt on the 1600s.
John

Sponsored Links
yep dont even attempt it yourself unless you plan to make it worse.
I didnt think the paint was laquered on these cars but maybe its had paint before.

yep dont even attempt it yourself unless you plan to make it worse.
I didnt think the paint was laquered on these cars but maybe its had paint before.
Hi B and B,
As it can't be worse, I'll try acetone.
I tried to sell it a week or so ago, but it appears that because it needs so much cosmetic type stuff it didn't sell at £1500.
C

Is the paint '2-Pack', do you know?
Myself I'd be obtaining a polishing tool and colour restore (T-Cut) cutting compound and spend some time polishing out the damage.

Is the paint '2-Pack', do you know?
Myself I'd be obtaining a polishing tool and colour restore (T-Cut) cutting compound and spend some time polishing out the damage.
Hi D,
I did that earlier, but it still has the varnish, so it went dull again.
C

Pm me some details on the car, I've had one and wouldn't mind another if it wasn't too rusty.
Hi B,
Message.jpg

I'm guessing by "varnish" the OP means "clearcoat" or "lacquer"? Lots of cars have a clearcoat to protect the colour coat from ultraviolet damage. It's particularly common on red cars, which can quickly fade to a sort of "terracotta "pink" without it. It sounds like you've got "lacquer peel", where it separates from the base coat and becomes detatched. If you remove all the clearcoat, your paint can be polished up (if you're incredibly careful) but will go dull again very quickly. You will probably go right through the basecoat and down to the primer, in places.

Rather thank taking it off, you would be better repairing it. To do it properly would need a bodyshop and more money than the car sounds like it is worth. However, you can get spray cans of clear lacquer.

I imagine acetone will just take everything off, right down to the steel, and probably ruin any plastic it comes into contact with too?! :eek:

I'm guessing by "varnish" the OP means "clearcoat" or "lacquer"? Lots of cars have a clearcoat to protect the colour coat from ultraviolet damage. It's particularly common on red cars, which can quickly fade to a sort of "terracotta "pink" without it. It sounds like you've got "lacquer peel", where it separates from the base coat and becomes detatched. If you remove all the clearcoat, your paint can be polished up (if you're incredibly careful) but will go dull again very quickly. You will probably go right through the basecoat and down to the primer, in places.

Rather thank taking it off, you would be better repairing it. To do it properly would need a bodyshop and more money than the car sounds like it is worth. However, you can get spray cans of clear lacquer.

I imagine acetone will just take everything off, right down to the steel, and probably ruin any plastic it comes into contact with too?! :eek:
Hi A,
Yes, all of what you say.
I'll try a little acetone, to see if it blends the varnish edges, and just poilish it.
C.

Attachments

• Eunos hood.jpg
    Eunos hood.jpg
    387.5 KB · Views: 36
  • Eunos 2.jpg
    Eunos 2.jpg
    347.2 KB · Views: 32
However, you can get spray cans of clear lacquer.
Don't be wasting the OP's time and money. You can't cover up failed clear coat with a can. Everything must be sanded off then repainted. Don't need the body shop either. The goal should be to get something passable, and not perfection.

The alternate strategy for the OP is simply reduce the price. Nearly everything is sellable if the price is low enough. Rather than using this as an opportunity to learn to paint, which is valuable in itself, he could drop the price. Imagine where the OP would be if he gains the skill to paint? He would be buying a bargain like this, and have a perfectly fine car after.

Sponsored Links
Back