How to remove carpet glue from terracotta tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After removing flood damaged carpets in 3 bedrooms (in France) we discovered terracotta tiles which were covered in dried-on carpet glue.
My wife prefers the tiles, can you suggest a product to remove the glue from the tiles (about 40sq m)?
I have been advised to use brick acid and also advised against using it.
Also suggested was using a wallpaper steamer.
I have now come to the experts for guidance (I am a diy novice)

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Have you tried a heat gun and scraper?

Many thanks Joe.
I haven't tried anything yet but will going to the house in about 3 weeks.
Can you recommend a heat gun and will I need any chemicals?

What it all comes down to is the type and condition of the glue. If it is like EvoStick and still rubbery then any heat gun will do. No need to spend big money. If it has gone hard and isn't at all flexible then probably better off with a good scraper with replaceable blades. They have a foot long handle and an angled head.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again Joe, can I use steel blades? or do they scratch the terracotta tiles?

Hi Joe,
I have attached images of the tiles.
With and without glue.
Is it possible to tell if they are sealed?

Attachments

• terra1.JPG
    terra1.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 259
  • terra3.JPG
    terra3.JPG
    191.8 KB · Views: 307
Depends on the glue , dissolving the glue with heat or chemicals can make the job harder leaving a sticky mess, a wood scraper will not harm the tiles, sprinkling talc on tacky areas help keep the glue in one lump.A time consuming job whatever method is used.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back