How to remove circlip from SDS drill chuck?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A drill bit snapped off inside the chuck of my Titan drill. I need to remove the split ring around the chuck in the photo. I do have some circlip pliers but they are designed for circlips with flat ends and holes.

How can I remove this ring? Cheers.

IMG_20200211_185544.jpg

Sponsored Links
These snap rings can be pretty awkward to shift, but how about two small electrical screwdrivers in the slot, and prising the ring open?
John :)

Thanks John, yes I tried that, but couldn't get the blades behind the ring. I'll give it another try. I don't mind getting a tool to do it if necessary. I expect the ring will ping off somewhere and be lost anyway, so my next question would be where can I get another one!?

Edit:- Oh I've just reread what you said, putting the blades in the slot and opening it out. I'll give that a try!

You can actually get the proper tool for these snap rings.
Very similar to a pair of external circlip pliers but with flat faces instead of pins.
I have used a pair of small, spring loaded pliers to good effect. The spring needs to keep the pliers in a closed position so when you are squeezing them the jaws open.
I filed the outer face of the jaws flat so they pressed against the ring ends.
Just prise the ring open enough to slide it over the collar. To re-fit use 2 screw drivers to slide it down and into the groove. You can then give it a gentle squeeze with pliers to tighten it up.

Sponsored Links
Do it in a clear poly bag if you can.
Saves ages looking for the bit if it goes flying.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back