Keyless chuck to sds chuck adaptor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I have a big SDS drill which also has the adaptor to allow it to be used as a keyed chuck ( basically a keyed chuck with an sds shank, pushes into the sds chuck )
I was wondering if anyone knows of anything similar that I can use on my dewalt cordless keyless drill, but to convert it to sds, should I need to use sds bits with it.

Cheers in advance everyone

Sponsored Links
I'm afraid that you can't convert a non-SDS drill to an SDS drill. The drill would have to have a piston inside.
I can't see any point in trying to attach an SDS drill bit to a non-SDS drill. Why would you want to do that?

I'm afraid that you can't convert a non-SDS drill to an SDS drill. The drill would have to have a piston inside.
I can't see any point in trying to attach an SDS drill bit to a non-SDS drill. Why would you want to do that?

You can convert them, my mate converted a chuck from his knackered old sds drill, unfortunately I don't have an old sds drill to take apart. The reason I wanted the adaptor is because I have just been given around 200 basically brand new sds bits ( amongst other bits and bobs ) off my neighbour, her husband passed away a few months ago and they were in his shed, it just occurred to me that I could use them with my cordless instead of lugging a big sds drill around with me everytime I wanted to use them

Why would the drill have to have a piston inside ? its only so that the drill will accept sds bits should the need arise

cheers for taking the time to reply tho

Sponsored Links
I just put the SDS bits in the chuck. :rolleyes:

that's what I have been doing, but when I seen the adaptor my mate made, I just thought it would be a good idea to have one, not having an old sds drill to dismantle I thought maybe they were available to buy, cheers for the reply

They do exist...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/5055058134509

...but for some reason they have made the hex end 9/16ths of an inch (14.3mm), so won't fit in any cordless drill, maybe they are intended for diamond core drills, which some have a 16mm chuck.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
You can convert them, my mate converted a chuck from his knackered old sds drill, unfortunately I don't have an old sds drill to take apart. The reason I wanted the adaptor is because I have just been given around 200 basically brand new sds bits ( amongst other bits and bobs ) off my neighbour, her husband passed away a few months ago and they were in his shed, it just occurred to me that I could use them with my cordless instead of lugging a big sds drill around with me everytime I wanted to use them

Why would the drill have to have a piston inside ? its only so that the drill will accept sds bits should the need arise

Yes, you can 'convert' a non-SDS drill to take SDS drill bits, as Woody said. You just put the SDS drill bit into the keyless (or keyed) chuck. Unfortunately, though, that would not convert the non-SDS drill into an SDS drill!

"Why would the drill have to have a piston inside?" Well, I think you need to google 'SDS drill' to find out how they work and why they have a piston inside!

Yes, you can 'convert' a non-SDS drill to take SDS drill bits, as Woody said. You just put the SDS drill bit into the keyless (or keyed) chuck. Unfortunately, though, that would not convert the non-SDS drill into an SDS drill!

"Why would the drill have to have a piston inside?" Well, I think you need to google 'SDS drill' to find out how they work and why they have a piston inside!

Sorry but I think I may have explained myself wrongly to begin with, What I want is an sds chuck, that will be able to fit into my cordless drills chuck, Therefore allowing me to just slide the collar back and insert and sds bit , Rather than just inserting the sds bit into my keyless chuck. I know that the cordless will not work as an sds, The drill would only need a piston if I wanted it to perform as an sds drill, which I do not

Cheers for the reply ;)

They do exist...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/5055058134509

...but for some reason they have made the hex end 9/16ths of an inch (14.3mm), so won't fit in any cordless drill, maybe they are intended for diamond core drills, which some have a 16mm chuck.

They're for old knackers that were about before the SDS system.

index.jpg

Sorry but I think I may have explained myself wrongly to begin with, What I want is an sds chuck, that will be able to fit into my cordless drills chuck, Therefore allowing me to just slide the collar back and insert and sds bit , Rather than just inserting the sds bit into my keyless chuck. I know that the cordless will not work as an sds, The drill would only need a piston if I wanted it to perform as an sds drill, which I do not

Cheers for the reply ;)

You'll struggle to find anything decent because it's a pointless operation with no market for such a thing.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Very rarely use masonry bits in a standard drill but if I do I just use the basic non-sds masonry bits.

Last edited:
only gonna use the sds bits as I got about 300 given and the majority of them are brand new and un used

So what's wrong with throwing them in the drill chuck? If you get the right spots lined up against a three jaw chuck the bit will hold relatively true. If you're using them on a frequent basis anyway why you've not invested in a rotary sds is beyond me.

Cheers for the reply ;)
My apologies. I didn't realise what you meant.

As Sammy says, you're unlikely to find an SDS chuck that can be fitted into a standard keyed/keyless chuck.

Again, as Sammy says, if you've 'inherited' all those brand new SDS bits you should think about buying an SDS drill to go with them. It would save you a lot of time and effort if you're drilling into masonry. In your position, I would anyway. You can get one for as little as £50 at Screwfix and I don't think you'd regret it.

IIRC, a few years ago, when you bought an SDS drill, you got a 13mm keyless chuck and adapter as standard in the box.

Anyway aren't the adapters readily available?

IIRC, a few years ago, when you bought an SDS drill, you got a 13mm keyless chuck and adapter as standard in the box.

Anyway aren't the adapters readily available?
I think he wants it the other way round: an SDS chuck that will attach into a standard keyed/keyless chuck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back