Chuck adaptor ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I have a big SDS drill which also has the adaptor to allow it to be used as a keyed chuck ( basically a keyed chuck with an sds shank, pushes into the sds chuck )
I was wondering if anyone knows of anything similar that I can use on my dewalt cordless keyless drill, but to convert it to sds, should I need to use sds bits with it.

Cheers in advance everyone ;)

Sponsored Links
I doubt that even if it exists, it would be much use.
A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link, after all.

I doubt that even if it exists, it would be much use.
A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link, after all.
don't follow what you mean, my mate made one using the chuck of his old knackered sds drill and it works without problems , unfortunately I don't have a knackered sds drill to remove the chuck from and adapt it. I don't understand why you say a chain is only as strong as its weakest link, when you put the keyed chuck into an sds drill it works 100% spot on, all I was wanting to know is if there is a chuck adaptor to work the other way around that I could actually buy. But thanks for taking the time to reply ;)

don't follow what you mean, my mate made one using the chuck of his old knackered sds drill and it works without problems , unfortunately I don't have a knackered sds drill to remove the chuck from and adapt it. I don't understand why you say a chain is only as strong as its weakest link, when you put the keyed chuck into an sds drill it works 100% spot on, all I was wanting to know is if there is a chuck adaptor to work the other way around that I could actually buy. But thanks for taking the time to reply ;)
Because an SDS drill works differently to a standard hammer drill - hence the bulky end on the SDS drill bits. You may as well use standard bits in a standard drill and this is the reason manufacturers don't convert the other way. There is no point.

Sponsored Links
Because an SDS drill works differently to a standard hammer drill - hence the bulky end on the SDS drill bits. You may as well use standard bits in a standard drill and this is the reason manufacturers don't convert the other way. There is no point.

The only reason that I wanted this adaptor is that I have been given a few hundred sds bits, pretty much the majority are brand new from my neighbour wo has recently been widowed, she gave me quite a few of her late husbands tools . I know the action of the sds is different, but instead of just putting them into my cordless chuck ( as I have been doing ) I wanted and sds chuck that would fit into my cordless then hold the bits correctly,

cheers for the reply

Because sds bit has slots.
1. To enable greater torque to be applied to the bit. Having a standard Chuck would just make your sds drill longer, without the oomph of sds.
2. To enable the bit to slide back and forth in the chuck, to increase the hammer effect.

I also doubt that a non-sds bit is strong enough to take full sds hammer, at least for any period of time.

Because sds bit has slots.
1. To enable greater torque to be applied to the bit. Having a standard Chuck would just make your sds drill longer, without the oomph of sds.
2. To enable the bit to slide back and forth in the chuck, to increase the hammer effect.

I also doubt that a non-sds bit is strong enough to take full sds hammer, at least for any period of time.

Brigadier, I think you are misunderstanding my point altogether, all I want is to be able to insert the sds bit into an sds chuck, that will fit into my keyless chuck, i.e a sds chuck that can be put inside my cordless chuck and then tightened like an ordinary drill bit, then I can insert the sds bit into an sds chuck. I DO NOT want my cordless drill to act as an sds drill, only to accept the sds bits correctly, instead of me tightening my keyless chuck onto the shaft of an sds bit. Sorry if this sounds stupid. I have been using sds bits in my cordless drill, its just when I seen the chuck adaptor my mate made I thought it was a good idea. cheers for your reply

Brigadier, I think you are misunderstanding my point altogether, all I want is to be able to insert the sds bit into an sds chuck, that will fit into my keyless chuck, i.e a sds chuck that can be put inside my cordless chuck and then tightened like an ordinary drill bit, then I can insert the sds bit into an sds chuck.
The point, I think, is that would not be good enough to do the job properly.
In other words, there is no point, so they don't make one.

I DO NOT want my cordless drill to act as an sds drill, only to accept the sds bits correctly, instead of me tightening my keyless chuck onto the shaft of an sds bit.
Then all you can do is remove the keyless chuck and find an sds one that fits your drill.

Sorry if this sounds stupid.
Not stupid just pointless.

I have been using sds bits in my cordless drill, its just when I seen the chuck adaptor my mate made I thought it was a good idea. cheers for your reply
Ask him, then.

The point, I think, is that would not be good enough to do the job properly.
In other words, there is no point, so they don't make one.

What do you mean do the job properly ? I am already using sds bits in my cordless and they work no problem at all, , its just quicker if I had an sds chuck I could tighten into the cordless then use whatever sds bit I need to use, or take it out to use ordinary bits. sds bits will drill like any other drill bit even when used in a cordless, just that it wont have the oomph of an sds which is not important to me

Then all you can do is remove the keyless chuck and find an sds one that fits your drill.

I want the adaptor so I can use ordinary bits or sds bits in the drill

Not stupid just pointless.

Pointless to you maybe and you are more than welcome to your opinion, but not to me

Ask him, then.

ask him what ? if I had an old sds drill lying around I could make myself one but I don't, hence me asking if anyone knows if they can be purchased

thanks for your reply tho mate

You said he made one.

I meant from a manufacturer's perspective.

So, get an sds chuck, if female attachment, find a bolt that fits, put in keyless chuck.

YES mate that's exactly what I need, I just thought rather than making one ( because I didn't have an old sds lying about ) that I would just buy one, if in fact they actually made them, but you hit the nail on the head. Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Back