Chuck adaptor ??

Cut the hex off with an angle grinder and stick the circular bit in your 3 jaw. Done.

...or treat yourself to an SDS Drill, you won't regret it!

Nozzle

Sponsored Links
Last edited by a moderator:
I'll bite...

Can't you just put the SDS end straight into the chuck? The SDS end is generally circular with keyways and flats - align it with the three teeth of your standard chuck and it might just be centred correctly. I don't like the chances of it holding for long, and you might gash up the chuck teeth but....

In the same way you can still put a quick change hex bit into a 3 jaw chuck - though happily having the right number of parallel surfaces helps this to not end in tears/knackered chuck.

Nozzle

I have been using the ordinary keyless chuck with the sds bits, but they do slip, hence why I wanted some sort of adaptor mate, I will be making one now that I have been given a knackered old sds drill, cheers for the reply tho

Sponsored Links
ok mate, you say there is no point, so can you explain to me why they make a keyed chuck to fit into an sds drill ?
So that you can use the turning force for other applications, i.e. metal drill bits, wood drill bits, polishing, grinding, abrading etc.

However, only an SDS drill has the piston percussion type hammer that necessitates the use of SDS drill bit ends.

Yes that's what I was after, the hex end into keyless chuck, sds bits then fit in correctly without slipping and causing damage to chuck jaws or flutes on bits , so they do actually make them,

My father in law got me mine from work and to be honest I thought it was 9/16 but having looked its half inch. I'd get a cheap 9/16 one of ebay though if its just for occasional use and grind the shank down to fit.

My father in law got me mine from work and to be honest I thought it was 9/16 but having looked its half inch. I'd get a cheap 9/16 one of ebay though if its just for occasional use and grind the shank down to fit.

I was gonna make one, but I have now found them on ebay and only £18, I am gonna buy one of them and my mate who is an engineer has seen the pic and he says he can take the diameter of the shaft down on the lathe, then just cut if to whatever length I need, therefore making it basically nice and short. Thanks very much for the info mate, greatly appreciated

Just for you who are completely oblivious after I've already mentioned. 9/16 is about 14.2mm. A keyless chuck max will be 13mm. So not only is it a pointless exercise, it won't fit either. Best of luck grinding that down and having it come out centrered.

He already has one. He wants to use the bits in a cordless drill.

There's a lad at work who insists on working on his hands and knees even though we have about a dozen work benches. We try and tell him but he pleases himself.

Sponsored Links
Back