SDS drill chuck

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know if you can fit an SDS chuck to a standard 3 jaw chuck pistol drill to save the cost of buying and SDS drill just for a few holes

Cheers

Sponsored Links
why would you want to? the sds chuck and sds bit isnt going to make a difference to how a standard hammer drill performs

I have a normal pistol drill but already have the right size drill bits but they are of the SDS style. Would it be possible to cut the SDS fitment portion from the drill bit as they dont sit in the 3 jaw chuck square

Does anyone know if you can fit an SDS chuck to a standard 3 jaw chuck pistol drill to save the cost of buying and SDS drill just for a few holes

Cheers

simple answer is YES, you can buy a chuck that converts from 3 jaw to sds, you just tighten the chuck in the jaws as you would a drill bit, then just push your sds bits in.
the downside is, you will pay just as much for the chuck as you would pay for a cheap SDS drill

Sponsored Links

Cheers

simple answer is YES, you can buy a chuck that converts from 3 jaw to sds, you just tighten the chuck in the jaws as you would a drill bit, then just push your sds bits in.
the downside is, you will pay just as much for the chuck as you would pay for a cheap SDS drill

No, No, No!!! Even if you can get the chuck or SDS bits to fit in a 3 jaw chuck it won't work properly. SDS Hammer run at a different speed to impact drills, and the hammer mechanism is totally different on each machine.

Daft question, but assuming you already own an impact drill with a 3 jaw chuck, why don't you just go and get some straight shank masonry drill bits?

Even really good masonry bits are only a couple quid. You're better off buying the most common sizes like 6mm and 8mm for the drill you have.

If it's only for a couple holes you could buy a whole set of cheap bits for under a fiver.

Regards

G

some ppl just have that SDS drill bits lying around, along with other normal straight shank drill bits, but it is a pain having that "superior looking" SDS drill bit and not being able to use it...(no SDS chuck, or having a SDS chuck with a broken drill end stuck inside it, duh!)

so, my cheap fix is to take the sleeve of an anchor bolt (i use the nearest anchor bolt i found, a 5/16", about 1mm sleeve thickness), and wrap it around the base of the SDS drill bit...

i achieved that by inserting the bit inside the sleeve, with the bit base on the floor, and the sleeve's split end pointed upward, place a pair of pliers over the sleeve and knock it in with a hammer. be sure to align the "seam" of the sleeve along the long slot of the SDS bit, so that the 3-jaw chuck teeth (dogs) will have a firm clamp on the bit, and the bit will be fairly center. for drilling a hole in a brick wall to hang a picture, a 4" long 6mm drill bit is useful enough. i tried sleeve-fixing on a longer SDS drill bit, but it's still a little bit off center/wobbly.

the 3-jaw chuck takes 13mm drill bit or slightly larger, SDS+ drill bit is about 10mm wide, so it works. this fix will surely extend my time to decide if that expensive and heavier hammer drill that takes "superior looking" SDS drill bits is really necessary.

reizaal

If nothing else I do admire your inventiveness there reizaal and welcome to the forum. With thinking like that you will probably prove to be a useful addition here.
In response to the OP question, yes it is possible , I've done it myself when I've had no other choice well a bit rather than a chuck in a standard 3 jaw chuck. It can be akward to get a firm grip and it certainly won't hammer properly but if you are only drilling a few holes in soft stone or brick then you may well get away with it, but be sure to watch that the chuck isn't slipping and chewing up the end pf the bit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back