How to remove concrete lump from yard floor?

It's possible that the surface water drain was covered over by the extension, which is why they got rid of the gutter, and the new bathroom couldn't be plumbed back into the old drain, hence the fancy way they've blocked the old foul drain off. If you reinstate the gutter, where will you drain it into.

Sponsored Links
I've been in the house less than a year, and I am realising just how little I know about it. The house was originally a two up, two down, as was the rest of the row, and at some later date they were all extended to add a kitchen on the back, on the ground floor, and a bathroom and 3rd bedroom on the first floor.

The "extensions" are original.

The "extensions" are original.
Are they really? The rooms in them have much lower ceilings so I assumed this part of the property had been added on at some later date. What I thought was the extension also has a separate loft space. If that is the case, does this mean that the section of roof at the back which doesn't have a gutter is by design?

Sponsored Links
If that is the case, does this mean that the section of roof at the back which doesn't have a gutter is by design?

I think that's unlikely.
Where does the water actually go when it rains?

The size of the concrete "Bung" and the black on the wall suggests to me that there was originally a waste soil pipe for a bathroom, or downstairs outhouse Scullery /toilet
is it possible the bathroom was moved to the extension. What is the present soil pipe made off, is it PVC , Cast Iron, Asbestolux.
The Concrete "Bung" could be blocking the bend of the underground soil pipe.

20170404_175111-jpg.116852

The size of the concrete "Bung" and the black on the wall suggests to me that there was originally a waste soil pipe for a bathroom, or downstairs outhouse Scullery /toilet
is it possible the bathroom was moved to the extension.

Originally there would have been no bathroom; what is now the bathroom would have been a bedroom.
There would have been an outside loo off the picture to the right. It may have been an earth closet, depending on age.

Its a bung to block the original sewer pipe then, Cheaper and easier to install than a manhole and cover

Thanks for all the replies. So I should just leave this well alone then. Glad I checked first!

As for the absent gutter, I'm not sure where the water goes when it rains as I haven't thought to look before now. I will check next time it rains heavily. It definitely doesn't pour from the roof down that part of the property as I would have noticed that. I wonder whether it is channeled on to the guttered part of the roof. It's hard to see on the photos, but the top of the board above the window (where there is no gutter) appears to be slightly higher than the adjoining roof.

Have you looked down the road to see how the other houses are done.

Most detail appears to point to an all original build - main house & outrigger.
The lower ceilings in the outrigger presumably conform to the outrigger eaves/plane of the main roof.
Although, the position of the soil branch bend pipe seems odd for an original WC position?

There is a gutter behind that short "fascia" board - its a lead box gutter discharging on to the outrigger roof.
The damp in the room below could be from a blockage or a crack in the lead.

Originally, was there a down pipe in that corner position, dropping maybe into a gulley? But there's no evidence of a pipe higher up the wall?
Is there a gulley in the yard?
Do the bathroom wastes discharge into a pan connector with a pipe boss?

The air brick close by has been recessed by the yard concrete being raised.
And perhaps the concrete is bridging any original DPC.
Horizontal & vertical lines of plugged injection holes can be seen - so damp has perhaps been an issue in that area.
The green algae on the yard surface might suggest excessive splashing.
Quite how any or all of this fits in with the lump question I dont know but I suspect that it does.

The gas restrictor elbow might still be live - & unless its in a position intended for future gas appliance use then its best to have the gas pipe supplying it cut & capped where it branches off from a tee, thereby eliminating a gas deadleg. The restrictor can then be removed.

FWIW: the yard wall is leaning in, so is the main chimney stack - the rear stack is also leaning slightly.

Last edited:
Crack it off with a bolster chisel at the bottom. It there is a drain cap it off at floor level.

Vinn, thanks for all the information.

I have spoke to a neighbour who knew about the concrete cap. As suspected, it was some sort of sewage pipe; a big one apparently, 8 inches in diameter. The other houses on the row didn't have one, however. Not sure why that is. Apparently, the previous owner had it investigated (internal camera) and they were satisfied it was not in use so it was removed and capped off with the offending concrete plug. Mystery solved. I think I'll leave it where it is, though. Already got a list of jobs as long as my arm.

To answer your other questions, there is no gully in the yard, but there is a drain at the bottom, and yard slopes down to it. I think you are right in stating that the WC position is not original; I believe the previous owner altered the size and layout of the bathroom, so the position of the soil pipe was moved. The soil pipe is plastic and relatively new, supporting that. Also, we were made aware of the leaning chimneys when we had the survey, and it's on the to-do list.

Thanks everyone for your help.

OP,
If you will persist with me - I'd like to go on a little because I'm simply interested in solving a puzzle.

Does your drainage run straight back into a rear ginnel or back entry alley way?
Is there a manhole cover visible in the ginnel - one of a number of manhole covers going on to the end of the alleyway?

How do your kitchen wastes discharge - straight down into the concrete?
Presumably, your down spout does likewise unless the gutter is drained by the neighbour's down spout?
And, as above, does your bathroom waste(s) discharge into a hopper head?

I have spoke to a neighbour who knew about the concrete cap. As suspected, it was some sort of sewage pipe; a big one apparently, 8 inches in diameter. The other houses on the row didn't have one, however. Not sure why that is..
A Victorian vent for a section of the main sewer :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back