Back yard drainage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My back yard is paved and surrounded by brick walls with a shed (on breeze blocks) at the rear. I also have three dogs, who do what dogs do, which means I have to wash, disinfect and bleach etc very frequently. My problem is that the paving slopes to the rear and water etc accumulates in front and under the shed. I obviously need some kind of drainage but am unsure how to do it at a low cost. Has anyone got any ideas please - my back yard smells like a gents at times! Thank you.

Sponsored Links
I'll not ask how you know what the gents smells like :p
Does the back yard have a drain gully at all? Is there any way that a channel could be cut through the back wall so that you could swill any waste water out and into a road drain?
John :)

Got a photo or two, showing the drain? And how do you know what the inside of a gents smells like?

I only walk past - I don't go in!!! The women's facilities usually smell flowery and nice - the gents pong. I should have said dogs' toilet, sorry.

No, there's no drain gulley. The back of the shed is a few inches from the wall with a narrow strip of gravel. I've got a wood shed next to it (full) Do you think drilling holes at the base of the wall would work or would I just be transferring the problem to the path on the other side of the wall?

Sponsored Links
Its not a good idea to drill holes in the wall, but it is better to drill a larger hole and line it with a glazed pipe or channel.
Naturally, it depends on what is on the other side of the wall, and whose property it is.

Sounds promising - I'll give it a try, thank you very much. Or I could hang air freshener things all over the place :LOL:

just be a bit careful
if its a recent area converted from absorbent to non permeable you need planning to for the run off to to exit the property
how long ago was the area covered with a surface not allowing it to drain into the soil ??

Possibly about ten to fifteen years - before I moved here. There's a narrow strip of rough grass and weeds and an unsurfaced road/track behind the houses. The drain will be very inconspicuous and if I dig the grass out and put a few inches of gravel in its place do you think that will solve the problem?

That could certainly be a plan......keep the trench deepish and backed up with chunky stones - a DIY soakaway, if you like.
Entirely at your own risk, of course!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back